Health Secretary:"People who are abusing NHS staff can be turned away, and should be turned away, if that is the way that they are treating our staff"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
If ever a minister should resign it’s our glorious Health Secretary. Why? Well, good old Wes wants anyone who is racist to be refused health care. Unbelievable!! We are entering an authoritarian state. So, not only can certain medical conditions cause people to act irrational, but this is also the thin end of the wedge. Today we exclude people from health care who are racist, tomorrow we choose to excludes people with other ‘non acceptable’ views, or indeed actions. Who decides what views or actions are not acceptable, that we could effectively be executing them by denying them health care?

If this takes hold and he does not resign, we are entering a whole new hell on earth. God help us.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-riots...e-refused-care-health-secretary-says-13192215

If ever a minister should resign it’s our glorious Health Secretary. Why? Well, good old Wes wants anyone who is racist to be refused health care. Unbelievable!! We are entering an authoritarian state. So, not only can certain medical conditions cause people to act irrational, but this is also the thin end of the wedge. Today we exclude people from health care who are racist, tomorrow we choose to excludes people with other ‘non acceptable’ views, or indeed actions. Who decides what views or actions are not acceptable, that we could effectively be executing them by denying them health care?

If this takes hold and he does not resign, we are entering a whole new hell on earth. God help us.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-riots...e-refused-care-health-secretary-says-13192215
Ok, I'll bite...
While I may or may not agree with this, or anything else Wes Streeting says, I read the article you linked, and it seems to me that he specifically said "anyone who is racist towards NHS staff".
Let's not get carried away.

P.S. There almost certainly is no god.

Brilliant idea. If you rock up for treatment and abuse the NHS staff you don’t deserve their help.
Brilliant, and those with mental health conditions? On certain drugs? Or the member of staff perceived a slight? Where does it end? I’m certain there will be things you’ve said that someone has found offensive, should you be denied health care? I don’t think you’ve thought it through!

Ok, I'll bite...
While I may or may not agree with this, or anything else Wes Streeting says, I read the article you linked, and it seems to me that he specifically said "anyone who is racist towards NHS staff".
Let's not get carried away.
What if you’re drunk? On certain drugs, have a mental health condition, brain trauma, suffering from Alzheimer there are lots of reasons why someone may be offensive.

Having read your views on other subjects I can’t believe that you would support such a policy…….unless you feel that the genocide of anyone who doesn’t meet your political views is a reasonable course of action. A few have tried that, fortunately our fathers / grandfathers fought in wars and some gave their lives to eliminate that form of evil.

Last edited:
Anyone should receive medical care based on need. That’s an absolute fundamental principle.
A terrorist, a communist, or Far right activist is still a human being. They all have the human right to receive health care. Restricting care based on someone’s believes, political perspective, tattoos (indicating affiliation to a group / ideology) clothing / worn symbols, aggressive behaviour or language is totally intolerable and the worst form of discrimination / state mind control that has only ever lead to the worst atrocities.

We medical treat rapists, murders, and people who have committed any and all crimes. What makes ‘racism’ a death sentence and yet the NHS would treat a pedophile or a mass murder for example? Are their ‘crimes’ considered less severe??

Brilliant, and those with mental health conditions? On certain drugs? Or the member of staff perceived a slight? Where does it end? I’m certain there will be things you’ve said that someone has found offensive, should you be denied health care? I don’t think you’ve thought it through!
No I have thought it through.

My son is a police officer. They regularly attend A&E to deal with people abusing NHS staff or property. He (and the NHS staff) are trained to recognise and deal with those on medication or with mental health issues etc who don’t fall into the category the idea is aimed at.

It’s odd that this concerns you so deeply as I didn’t get the same sense of your compassion and willingness to turn the other cheek for the feckless when you were extolling the virtues of evicting them ;).

He's certainly coming across as a left wing extremist. And looks to be wanting to replace the NHS with a compulsory insurance based system, along the Israeli model.

In other words like all insurance based medical systems, if you end up with some illness that is pre existing and for example are at risk of more than a single heart attack, the insurance will refuse to cover you.

Anyone who immediately threatens the safety of a worker, medical or otherwise, should be denied service to protect the worker - for so long as they continue to pose a threat to the worker.

The Wes Streeting proposals, if accurately reported, would seem to fall foul of this on two counts - 1) this seems to include issues that don't affect the safety of workers and 2) it seems to be triggered by past, i.e. non-immediate behaviour.

I am not sure that someone who, for example, racially abuses a nurse should be forever denied NHS service . . . but is this what he really intends?

He's certainly coming across as a left wing extremist. And looks to be wanting to replace the NHS with a compulsory insurance based system, along the Israeli model.

In other words like all insurance based medical systems, if you end up with some illness that is pre existing and for example are at risk of more than a single heart attack, the insurance will refuse to cover you.

Is this a left wing idea - it is a bit regressive? It is what many countries do - and end up with better results. Australia is the often quoted example.

My concern would be that this lot would then want to stick IPT and VAT on top of the premium.

What if you’re drunk? On certain drugs, have a mental health condition, brain trauma, suffering from Alzheimer there are lots of reasons why someone may be offensive.

Having read your views on other subjects I can’t believe that you would support such a policy…….unless you feel that the genocide of anyone who doesn’t meet your political views is a reasonable course of action. A few have tried that, fortunately our fathers / grandfathers fought in wars and some gave their lives to eliminate that form of evil.
I wouldn't necessarily support such a policy, but I take issue with your extrapolation into the death penalty for racism.

I wouldn't necessarily support such a policy, but I take issue with your extrapolation into the death penalty for racism.
There are so many conditions that if left untreated or not diagnosed that can and do lead to a sudden death. So, if you refuse for example to treat a person presenting with chest pain that could be a heart attack, what exactly would you call it if they die as a consequence?

Brought back memories of one patient I saw as a Casualty Officer some 50years ago. Ambulance man came in and asked me to come out to the ambulance and see an unruly man who was fighting the crew and using non stop foul language. "We almost left him where we found him Doc, as he was so difficult". I looked at him, found evidence of diabetes, gave him a shot of glucose and within minutes, the most mild of men emerged from his hypoglycaemia oblivious of his behaviour up to that point and thanked all for his help.

How about a COMPLETE ban on politics on this forum? It's WOODWORKING for crying out load! :mad:

Mr Angry of Herefordshire, (AKA Stuart Little)
Tired Good Night GIF by Max

There are so many conditions that if left untreated or not diagnosed that can and do lead to a sudden death. So, if you refuse for example to treat a person presenting with chest pain that could be a heart attack, what exactly would you call it if they die as a consequence?
Where was your compassion when the Tories proposed building a giant wave machine in the channel? Personally, I think Wes Streeting has a big mouth, and common sense will probably prevail.

Why would you start this thread in a woodworking forum anyway? Bored? Still fuming that Labour won?
And yes, I admit I react to this sort of hyperbole, when I should know better, but I've got better things to do than start such provocative threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back