Harrison L5 3HP Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was so impressed by the push oiler that I bought a used grease gun of theirs on ebay and tried it with oil. It totally works. You just have to hang it nose down and with the spring at the end pulled back and locked off. Supposedly they leak if you leave them with oil in the cylinder and under pressure from the big spring attached to the T handle at the end.

That spring combined with the pump design deliver grease at 400 bar, so I can well beleive the seals really don't like being left under pressure with oil in!

I saw that there is an optional second piston for oil use...now if only I had a way of machining one... :ROFLMAO:

So, having got bored squeezing into a corner to clean the machine I got the pallet truck into the workshop and moved things about to move the Lathe into a much more accessible position:

241017 Harrison L5 029.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 030.jpg

And did a bit more cleaning:

241017 Harrison L5 031.jpg

I also got all the bits out that came with the Lathe too:

241017 Harrison L5 032.jpg

So 6 chucks (including the one on it), a faceplate and a magnetic faceplate! Ignore the 300tdi Flywheel and clutch, and the Rover V8 Flywheel underneath it, I got bored moving them about and need to find them a proper home...

More detailed pics of the various bits:

241017 Harrison L5 033.jpg

The adjustable feat have pads underneath them that have aluminium ID tags on them, I forgot to take a close up pic but I beleive they are meant to be an isolation damper.

241017 Harrison L5 034.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 035.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 036.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 037.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 038.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 039.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 040.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 041.jpg

241017 Harrison L5 042.jpg

I'm loving that you have the yale lock fitted to the door. Mine had a large hole that was obviously sized for the barrel of said lock.

Nice that you have the cross slide with T slots and an angle plate so you will be able to do small milling jobs.

Good to have both the fixed and travelling steadies and a few chucks.

I forsee many happy hours at the wire wheel cleaning old iron :)

A good degrease, followed by wire brush session then a soak in heated Bilt Hamber De-ox-C with regular sessions with a brass wire brush tends to bring most steel up well I find...the smaller bits go in my heated ultrasonic cleaner and some surplas stainless coffee pots filled with De-ox-C...

Hum, I'm wondering if I have another box somewhere with bits in, because I could have sworn I had a set of change wheels...

Good selection of stuff there. You are going to have fun. Don't know if you have used UB stuff their degreaser is really good.
If you need change wheels there is a guy on e bay who custom makes delrin ones, very good.
Having at least one in the train helps quieten it down a bit, and is a potentially handy "mechanical fuse" so if you crash it the plastic one is likely to strip before any other damage gets out of hand :)
One of the intermediate gears from the factory should be a fibre job, if it is still with it.

Good selection of stuff there. You are going to have fun. Don't know if you have used UB stuff their degreaser is really good.
If you need change wheels there is a guy on e bay who custom makes delrin ones, very good.
Having at least one in the train helps quieten it down a bit, and is a potentially handy "mechanical fuse" so if you crash it the plastic one is likely to strip before any other damage gets out of hand :)
One of the intermediate gears from the factory should be a fibre job, if it is still with it.

This is in part why I'm confused, I could have sworn I had a set of large diameter fibre gear wheels and was a bit surprised that they didn't come out of either of the two boxes of bits. I'm now scratching my head trying to think where they could be...

Potentially in one of my Auxiliary Storage Units* here:

Auxiliary Storage Units.jpg

*AKA

1: Alice
Alice.jpg

2: Ruby
Ruby.jpg

Or...

3: Big Blue
Big Blue.jpg

I'm hoping Ruby, Ruby will be the least full...

Note to self; you really need a 40ft Iso-container, and to get on with the other projects...

Last edited:
As for de-greaser, I've got 20 litres of Jizer, and then 5 litres of Bilt Hamber Surfex-HD concentrate too...failing that; heating oil...

Back