Handrail brackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
https://stairpartsdirect.co.uk/range/handrail-bracket/

Elderly neighbour asked me to put up a handrail for them on staircase. Seems fairly straightforward other than the bracket linked above. It comes with 5 screws but they are 3.5 x 30mm. I'm sure they would be fine for the handrail end but the other end is going into the wall which is masonry.

I am assuming these things are designed to attach to a wooden bracket on the wall or something? I can't believe they think 30mm is going to work in masonry.

Sure i could use longer screws but my issue is they need to be decorative and I know from experience that finding chrome screws in certain sizes can often be tricky / frustrating.

So before I go down that route, does anybody know if the normal way to install these is into a wooden wall plate rather than direct to the wall (if that makes sense)?

Thanks
Martin

...I know from experience that finding chrome screws in certain sizes can often be tricky

Stainless steel screws rubbed on a buffer can fake chrome and are much more widely available (even at B&Q).

Your wall plate would need to be about 25mm thick to take the full length of the supplied screw after deducting the bracket thickness. Then you have the standout of the bracket and rail further reducing the width of the stairs. All brackets in the run have to align so you have to space everything or nothing.

How long is the handrail...? How many of the handrail brackets are you planning on fitting for the length of the handrail...?

If the rail is say, 3000mm long, I would have thought 4 x brackets would be more than strong enough using those 3.5 x 30mm screws.

I fitted a 50mm dia Oak handrail & Stainless Steel brackets at home last year...... My 80 year old MIL is not good going up & down the stairs now, so my wife thought we should fit one to give her Mum something to hold onto when she comes to visit. I used the Stainless Steel screws that came with the brackets and it's still solid as a rock.....

The fixing screws are straight into the wall with normal 6mm rawlplugs.

Use a hole saw, whatever diameter you feel suits, drill out the plaster, cut plywood plug to suit, fasten back to brickwork with plenty of grab adhesive around the 'plug', skim over with filler, now you have a timber pattress to fasten to.

cut plywood plug to suit

Maybe pilot drill the plug before inserting the screw.

The plug will be relatively small diameter and inserting the screw without pilot drilling might tend to jack the plies apart. Make sure the point of the screw does not contact the brickwork and try to jack the whole lot away from the wall.

Use a hole saw, whatever diameter you feel suits, drill out the plaster, cut plywood plug to suit, fasten back to brickwork with plenty of grab adhesive around the 'plug', skim over with filler, now you have a timber pattress to fasten to.
Clever idea but I can't believe this is what people are doing to fit these things?
I think I might try and get longer screws - seems easier
Having said that, easiest option is to use the 30mm screws and plugs like suggested above.
Hmmm

Use an old fashioned lag screw bracket

Please suggest a UK supplier as the US imperial threads on those might not suit European rawlplugs.

It is going into a masonry wall, so the interface with the wall would look ugly as the hole you drill for the rawlplug has to be bigger than the threaded shaft of the bracket. I guess you could use a cover plate (like on toilet seat hinges).

Please suggest a UK supplier as the US imperial threads on those might not suit European rawlplugs.

It is going into a masonry wall, so the interface with the wall would look ugly as the hole you drill for the rawlplug has to be bigger than the threaded shaft of the bracket. I guess you could use a cover plate (like on toilet seat hinges).
Do you want me to come and fit them as well. sheesh.

Can't help with the chrome screws, but the best advice I got from this forum was to use Fischer wall plugs. I've fitted three mopstick handrails in our house and you could hang half the Tory party from them with no trouble.
Come to think of it....

Can't help with the chrome screws, but the best advice I got from this forum was to use Fischer wall plugs. I've fitted three mopstick handrails in our house and you could hang half the Tory party from them with no trouble.
Come to think of it....
This is pretty much my take on it regardless of whether you are fixing to brick , p/board or timber etc you should literally be able to hang of it . If the person using it trips or looses their footing then they will grab that rail with every ounce of strength they have - remember “ the boys from the black stuff “ I think it was snowy who slated the way the hand rail was installed and later tied a rope to it to escape a raid by social security officers…the older members should remember this program…

Do you want me to come and fit them as well?

No, Just please provide a UK supplier. I would be grateful if you would answer the question rather than attempt to avoid it.

The US market is differnt to the UK market. Suggesting a product that is not easily possible to buy in the UK may not be helpful to the OP. We could answer nearly every question asked here by "go to Harbor Freight" or "McMaster Carr will have it" but those answers would lack calories.

We had this discussion a while back, when someone was looking for lag screw handrail brackets to screw into a wooden post and I believe we failed to find a domestic supplier.

No, Just please provide a UK supplier. I would be grateful if you would answer the question rather than attempt to avoid it.

The US market is differnt to the UK market. Suggesting a product that is not easily possible to buy in the UK may not be helpful to the OP. We could answer nearly every question asked here by "go to Harbor Freight" or "McMaster Carr will have it" but those answers would lack calories.

We had this discussion a while back, when someone was looking for lag screw handrail brackets to screw into a wooden post and I believe we failed to find a domestic supplier.
🤣🤠🤡

You can find them in Lowes mate easy peasy!👍🤣

@Molynoox
I dont see this as an issue at all....!??🤔

Just fit the handrail with the brackets & screws provided......If, after its fitted, you feel the screws are not substantial enough, then look to source bigger screws as it will only take a few minutes to swop to larger ones.....I think you are worrying over nothing TBH......😁

@Molynoox
I dont see this as an issue at all....!??🤔

Just fit the handrail with the brackets & screws provided......If, after its fitted, you feel the screws are not substantial enough, then look to source bigger screws as it will only take a few minutes to swop to larger ones.....I think you are worrying over nothing TBH......😁
Thanks mate. I'll do exactly that. 👍

Without wanting to sound like I'm teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs, in these circumstances, I would drill the holes with a multi construction drill bit , without hammer function and, as others have suggested, ensure I used good quality rawlplugs.👍

Back