Folding sawhorse idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
I could do with a sawhorse or 2 but haven't got room to store it/them. So I was thinking, make each side with a board connecting the legs, to maybe 1/3rd of the way down, and hinge one side, so it can fold flat, and have some kind of flappy arrangement between the bottom edges of the 2 boards to prevent minge movement when it's in use.

Does the idea hold water? Anyone?

Well I’ve read it a couple of times but still not really sure of your idea. Suggest a quick sketch, doesn’t have to be brill.
Ian

Oh yeah. Tee hee hee.

I never even thought to look for existing designs. I looked at a couple of slot-together ones here on UKW (very impressive) whilst looking for how to make a normal one, then went straight to "folding" in my head.

Right here's a rough drawing I did in LibreOffice Draw. It's just a way to make one side fold in and be able to lock it when in use.

Attachments

• Folding saw-horse.jpg
    Folding saw-horse.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
If you've never used one, the commercial versions are good. Expensive obviously, but metal joints make for speed, strength and stuff like adjustable legs.
I can vouch for toughbuilt, bora have similar, and I have a related product that tells me the dewalt yellow and aluminium trestles derived from their mitre saw stand will be strong and sturdy too.

Bought ones may be nice but... Budget. And the Screwfix ones do look spindly. I'd probably get annoyed with them. Anyway I have a load of reclaimed wood taking up space so I may as well use some of it.

I like the ones in the video - way better than my idea and the legs slope in both directions, unlike many out there. I really want a top wide enough to balance a cup on though. (Cough) I mean, to clamp something to. Yes, ahem... Experience being that I can do a remarkable lot balanced on the edge of an old pallet (which also works as a very low level sawing platform when laid the normal way round) so there's a definite advantage in having a portable narrow work area, but without the proclivity for falling over :)

I have a small workshop and use whatever is to hand (often a piece of flooring-grade chipboard) on top of two plastic trestles similar to these…
https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-saw-horses-415mm-2-pack/964jc?
to cut up bigger stuff outside.
They are very light, fold up flat and surprisingly stable although just a little too narrow to balance a coffee cup on 😅
Maybe you could make something similar with a slightly wider top?

Latest posts

Back