Fly tying vice base.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas to make a decent size Fly Tying vice base, most are about 190mm x 75mm or thereabouts, I'm thinking a large piece of Oak bottom recessed and lead inserted, I can then rout whatever I want on top, any better ideas?

Fly vice base.jpeg

Sounds like a great idea.
You'll be routing etc so any hard, close grain wood would be ideal.
As a kid, I remember melting lead off old lead sheathed electrical wires with my dad. Old saucepan on a gas burner outside, and pouring weights for beachcasting. You could cast an insert for the base of your block.
On the top, the plate you picture above could be secured to your stand using that high performance pressure sensitive adhesive used for fixing dashcams and the like to the inside of windscreens.

Looking for an off-cut from a Granite worktop at the moment.
It's a shame you're at the other end of the country I probably have a bit of granite and definitely have 25mm thick solid surface kitchen worktop which is almost as heavy and easier to work with.

I'm a fly fisherman and tyer as well an have a tying station I lift on to my desk. The amount of tying materials I've collected over the years is, in my wife's words " ......... crazy" :ROFLMAO:

Looking for an off-cut from a granite worktop at the moment.

That might be a little thin.

Worktop suppliers might give you the sink cut out for nothing.

An alternative could be a granite pastry or food-prep board (Buy and Queue £20). Also sold as chapatti boards.

Or, dare I say, do you know any monumental masons?

With the routed, lead-filled base, maybe the underside perimeter would benefit from a sort of half dovetail, so even if the lead shrinks, it cannot drop out

Back