Fixing lean to shed ledger board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCamo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Dear all

I have planning permission for my lean to shed.
I am going to have a ledger attached to my side wall of my house of either 175mm x 47mm C24 or 200mm x 47mm C24. It will be about 5m long. Off it will come angled rafter brackets for 145mm x 47mm rafters.

What fixings would you folk recommend to attach the ledger to wall? The bricks are rock hard

Thanking you in advance

Jon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508_072948_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508_072948_Chrome.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240508_073119_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508_073119_Gallery.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0
I used a two part, mixes as it comes out of the tube type resin for fitting the ledger boards on previous extensions. I sat the edge board on a couple of 4" screws to make life easier whilst I drilled through the 12mm pre-drilled holes in the board. I took the board down, cleaned out the holes, squirted the resin in, twisted cut lengths of studding into the holes and left to set. Board then slid onto studding and washers/nuts put on. I did have to open up a couple of the holes a little. Dead easy to do, cost effective and worked a treat.

Colin

I used a two part, mixes as it comes out of the tube type resin for fitting the ledger boards on previous extensions. I sat the edge board on a couple of 4" screws to make life easier whilst I drilled through the 12mm pre-drilled holes in the board. I took the board down, cleaned out the holes, squirted the resin in, twisted cut lengths of studding into the holes and left to set. Board then slid onto studding and washers/nuts put on. I did have to open up a couple of the holes a little. Dead easy to do, cost effective and worked a treat.

Colin
That seems pretty straightforward. I had thought to rest it up on temporary screws so at least I am goung about it in the right way

Thank you

Any recommendations for the width of the ledger board. I will use 145mm x 47mm rafters at aroumd 5 degree angle so not sure whether to use 175mm or 200mm x 47mm?

Regards

Jon

You don't want the board making a step in your ceiling so go small, as it will be fixed every 600-900mm it doesn't need to be deep and c16 would be ok. Use standard hangers and notch the rafters to suit ,angled hangers are not readily available.

I've just had a look at the angle bracket website, from the look of them and the number of nail holes I doubt they will meet regs for building, you should check with whoever is doing your building regs drawings or the inspector.

If it’s less than 30 square metres you don’t need building regs approval, although you will need an electrician to install / sign off the power.

@JonCamo a 5° slope is very shallow - it’s a flat roof essentially - what is your roof covering and what’s the plan for the flashing into the existing wall..?

I've just had a look at the angle bracket website, from the look of them and the number of nail holes I doubt they will meet regs for building, you should check with whoever is doing your building regs drawings or the inspector.
Thank you. I will verify

If it’s less than 30 square metres you don’t need building regs approval, although you will need an electrician to install / sign off the power.

@JonCamo a 5° slope is very shallow - it’s a flat roof essentially - what is your roof covering and what’s the plan for the flashing into the existing wall..?
Building inspector visited. I need a building notice of works

Planning to use 80mm PIR which is ok to 4 degree slope. Flashing I need to look into/investigate. Suggestions?

Is 80mm PIR the rught thicknrmess for a lean to shed?

You don't want the board making a step in your ceiling so go small, as it will be fixed every 600-900mm it doesn't need to be deep and c16 would be ok. Use standard hangers and notch the rafters to suit ,angled hangers are not readily available.
Thank you. Will take a look

Any recommendations for the width of the ledger board. I will use 145mm x 47mm rafters at aroumd 5 degree angle so not sure whether to use 175mm or 200mm x 47mm?

Regards

Jon
Just use 145x47mm

Keep it simple!
It's not like the angles cut will be much deeper than the ledger board!

Hi,
If it’s solid brick use Easyfix bolts from screwfix. They have a coarse thread on the bolt and are rock solid when tightened. You drill them dead size and they cut a thread in the brick, specially designed for brick. No messy resin, we’ve used these at work and I’ve used them at home.
Regards,
Dave

Latest posts

Back