Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is possibly the most skewed views put out there, you can't get any mileage with the engine off.
Are you aware what “Stop-Start” is?
It’s not just a digital version of an ignition key , it’s where the engine will turn itself off without any intervention by the driver whilst waiting to move forward and then restarting immediately the accelerator pedal is depressed. This is a feature that can usually be deactivated, hence off, at which point the engine will function as all have done previously and only stop when it either breaks down, runs out of fuel or it’s actively turned off by the driver.

Ok , for some reason you dislike Stop-Start technology , let’s move on to your other points.
Yep he does and me too. I designed a PCB to install in my Toareg to permanently disable the damn thing.

Taking your suggested 1-2 lts of fuel saved at a cost of £1.50-£3.00 (average of current fuel price) for an hr of just idling in the average car seems fairly plausible.
My Mercedes Sprinter at idle consumed 0.8 litres per hour (I used to run it on DIY Bio Diesel).

Saying other components wear faster could be conceived as a bit of a stretch though when all you’re using is current from the battery and the starter motor, both of which are as you pointed out “beefed up” to cope with the additional demand placed on them.
He's absolutely right. When your starting the engine it has zero oil pressure and the fuelling is in open loop until sensors get back up to temperature. Additional wear takes place under these conditions. The fuel saved during the stopped period will be somewhat mitigated by additional fuel whilst running in open loop, the additional load from the alternator to replace energy used starting and running ancillaries whilst stopped.

I agree fully that far more fuel can be saved by driving in a more efficient and economical manner and as such have to regularly undertake SAFED training as part of my job (Safe And Fuel Efficient Driving) as an HGV driver.
Very much soi, forget the brake pedal and youre on a winner, good anticipation and correct use of gears for the conditions.

None of the above though address the fact that Auto manufacturers are trying to sell product and if they can advertise that theirs can hit benchmarks that consumers desire then they’ll actively pursue that avenue and if that means including elements that some buyers don’t like , well there are other choices available.
I think the argument is they should allow such items to be defaulted off or on, drivers then have choice of how they want to use such features.

When your starting the engine it has zero oil pressure
Yes the most engine wear occurs from starting from cold but even hot starts will cause wear because it is only the oil pressure that keeps the crank journals away from the bearings, but the OEM will know this and as long as it keeps going until out of warranty then they will not be overly concerned.

Yes the most engine wear occurs from starting from cold but even hot starts will cause wear because it is only the oil pressure that keeps the crank journals away from the bearings, but the OEM will know this and as long as it keeps going until out of warranty then they will not be overly concerned.
Totally agree and the fuelling will be in open loop and pollution during this time higher than when running closed loop.

Back