Does a live centre need to spin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully not a daft question but I'm new at this, the tail stock on my old Coronet Major came with one that is just a solid point. Obviously there'll be more friction and all the live centers I've seen for sale (or in YouTube videos) are of the spinning type, which I guess is why they're called 'live' centres. Before I spend money, is there anything I should look out for when buying one?

Great thanks. I have one of the 4 'bit' ones for the headstock and the other was in the tailstock when I got it. I'll look for a proper live centre and order one up. Currently looking at chuck options too, but I'll post another thread for that one.

Not a big lathe user, but I have always just had a solid bit in the tailstock, yes it does get very hot but seems to do the job just fine. Fyi it has a very sharp centre point with a sharp ring 12mm dia? around it.

Hopefully not a daft question but I'm new at this, the tail stock on my old Coronet Major came with one that is just a solid point. Obviously there'll be more friction and all the live centers I've seen for sale (or in YouTube videos) are of the spinning type, which I guess is why they're called 'live' centres. Before I spend money, is there anything I should look out for when buying one?
That would be a dead centre. Rubbing some beeswax on it will help reduce the friction. I'd still go for a live centre any day of the week.

A ring centre (pic below) can be used in either location. Good for beginners in the headstock because a catch will just stop the wood turning, instead of hitting you or snatching the tool.

Attachments

• 1726779737588.png
    1726779737588.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
The ‘solid’ one goes in the headstock...

The lathe in question is a woodturning machine, not a metal lathe. If the solid centre goes in the headstock as you suggest, how is the work driven? As soon as you applied the chisel to the work, it would spin on the centre. Wood lathes do not use drive dogs like metal lathes.

A ring centre (pic below) can be used in either location.

Could you expand on that please. The centre pictured has bearings in it so it rotates. If you put it in the headstock, it would not drive the work as the friction in the bearings would be less than that needed to overcome the cutting forces.

A _solid_ ring centre in the headstock might provide the safety feature you suggest, but one with bearings in it would be unusable.

If I was just starting out and could afford it I would go with Phil's suggestion above. Over the years I have acquired or made the equivalent of most of those attachments. If the money is not available, get a live centre to get you going and save up for a good head chuck. That's the end you won't want to skimp on if possible.

The lathe in question is a woodturning machine, not a metal lathe. If the solid centre goes in the headstock as you suggest, how is the work driven? As soon as you applied the chisel to the work, it would spin on the centre. Wood lathes do not use drive dogs like metal lathes.

Could you expand on that please. The centre pictured has bearings in it so it rotates. If you put it in the headstock, it would not drive the work as the friction in the bearings would be less than that needed to overcome the cutting forces.

A _solid_ ring centre in the headstock might provide the safety feature you suggest, but one with bearings in it would be unusable.
Gladly. I was just looking for a picture of a ring centre and that's the first that came up, completely overlooked the fact that it could have been the tailstock end. Well spotted though.

When teaching, I refer to the centres on a woodturning lathe as the 'drive' (headstock) and 'rotating' (tailstock) centres ...
Fair enough, but your "drive" centres will be typically be 2 prong, 4 prong or steb variants certainly not simple dead centres and your "rotating" centre doesn't have to be :)

Latest posts

Back