DIY cyclone on the cheap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave S":2a062amk said:
CNC Paul":2a062amk said:
Sam,

what rule is that ?
He's probably referring to this ridiculous "No pictures - it didn't happen" thing that seems to be going on at the moment :roll:

I have wondered how rigorously the advocates of this 'rule' apply it to other parts of their life?

For a simple air ramp, cut an annulus of 6mm mdf to fit the bucket and pipe diameters. put in a single radial saw cut across the annulus and spring the cut ends apart fitting either side of the inlet pipe to form a single turn spiral with a pitch equal to the pipe diameter.
Judicious use of more pink gripfill should fix this the bucket walls.

HTH

Bob

EDIT: Just looked back at your pics. It might be better for the air ramp version to make the cyclone with the bucket lid on top. Fit the air outlet into the lid, and the dust inlet near the top of the bucket. Fit the air ramp into the bucket and then clip on the lid.
You will have to cut most of the bucket bottom out but not to full diameter as the lip will retain strength.
My Burgess cyclone has such a lip at the top of the cone and it still works well.

Jake":kil5iqol said:
Dave S":kil5iqol said:
CNC Paul":kil5iqol said:
Sam,

what rule is that ?
He's probably referring to this ridiculous "No pictures - it didn't happen" thing that seems to be going on at the moment :roll:

I have wondered how rigorously the advocates of this 'rule' apply it to other parts of their life?

We're all a bit grumpy tonight aren't we?

9fingers":3la8nqrk said:
For a simple air ramp, cut an annulus of 6mm mdf to fit the bucket and pipe diameters. put in a single radial saw cut across the annulus and spring the cut ends apart fitting either side of the inlet pipe to form a single turn spiral with a pitch equal to the pipe diameter.
Judicious use of more pink gripfill should fix this the bucket walls.

HTH

Bob

EDIT: Just looked back at your pics. It might be better for the air ramp version to make the cyclone with the bucket lid on top. Fit the air outlet into the lid, and the dust inlet near the top of the bucket. Fit the air ramp into the bucket and then clip on the lid.
You will have to cut most of the bucket bottom out but not to full diameter as the lip will retain strength.
My Burgess cyclone has such a lip at the top of the cone and it still works well.

thanks for the advice, I`ll give that a go when I get the chance, still waiting for some donated parts to finish the "large cyclone experiment prt1".

last night I fabbed about 50% of my shop vac version, heavily based on the dust deputy.

As people say, photos will follow, otherwise it didn't happen :roll:

Steve

Well as Oneida UK are sooo busy selling cyclones they could not be bothered getting back to me since Wednesday, so I decided to make my own as the dust bags for the Festool Midi are over £16 for 5.

I used a piece of software called Cone Layout to develop the cone area
IMG_1141.jpg

I cut this from some 2mm aircraft plywood I had in the rack, the bin I got from Ikea a while ago.
I rolled up the 2mm ply and steamed it with SWIMBO's Iron and left it to dry tied up.

I overlapped the plywood by 12mm and glued it together.
IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

All the main parts were cut from a 12mm birch plywood offcut

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1147-1.jpg

I offered up the 38mm pipe to mark the intersection an cut it out

IMG_1150.jpg

I partly assembled the cyclone to bond the tube with 2pack wood filler.

All assembled.

I used the 6mm studding as it is extremely quick and very strong, the very top section is just to secure the top of the pipe, the third one is to support the inlet pipe bracket.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1158-1.jpg

Does it work ? ....Yes the big pile came from the Cyclone bin, the small one made it to the extractor.

IMG_1157.jpg

When I get time I will take it apart to spray it inside and out with clear lacquer.

cool Paul,
I actually spoke to the guy this morning. They do not have the cheaper plastic one available as yet (coming in Summer), but the 2" metal version is £149 + VAT delivered.

I have ordered a plastic one from US as I just don't have the time to play around making one when I could be making stuff to sell....(the choice you have to suffer with when you want a nice commercial workspace!!)
Sam

You're starting something here Paul... What size is your CNC bed and when will you be offering kits?

Aidan

Paul I know you didn't mention doing kits. But I'd buy one if you did. If enough people are interested, would you be able to supply the parts?

TheTiddles":39nn0p5b said:
You're starting something here Paul... What size is your CNC bed and when will you be offering kits?

Aidan

Hi Aiden,

The CNC bed is 3050 x 1525, but I can machine longer. I am not able to work at the moment due to a injury...so I am just playing with some very small things in the workshop, as far as kits go I could make some, but it would be for collection only, just PM me.

ok, so we are starting something here aren't we :D

my attempt:
DSCF3521.jpg

we are talking 1 plastic bucket, an old piece of pine, a few nuts and bolts and copious amounts of grip fill. (and some PVC pipe off cuts)
DSCF3522.jpg

The vertical seam is grip filled inside and completely air tight, note to self, BUY A RIVET GUN!

DSCF3523.jpg

I extended the side port inside the cyclone because as I believe I've read that it can cause some undue turbulence (and thus loss of suction) if its left flush with the cyclone side.

DSCF3525.jpg

As far as possible I`ve tried to follow the dust deputy design, printing a picture from their website and based on the stated 2 inch inlet port, I derived the measurements:
approx 12 inches high, top diameter approx 7 inch, bottom diameter approx 3.5 inch

As per rules:
Before:
DSCF3526.jpg

empty wickes wet `n` dry. big pile of dust, assorted sizes, fine and coarse including some chippings:

after
DSCF3527.jpg

only very fine, dust made it to the vacuum. Large collection of material inside the "bin".

Interestingly I made a find, at one point I managed to block the inlet with dust and shavings, this made the vacuum labour BUT allowed me to trace leaks in the cyclone/bin.
A bit more duct tape and these were sorted.

enhancements
1) better gasket on bin/cyclone junction
2) top port is not yet fixed, to allow experimentation with depth into top of cyclone vs effect on collection
3) remove all duct tape and seal with grip-fill, NOTE to self, don't rush because you want to see if it works :oops:

I can assure you most of the joints are cleanly cut, grip fill and duct tape are hiding no bodgery 8)

what have I started.......

ITS ALIVE!!!!!! MUU HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha a a a a

Steve (chuffed)

:twisted:

Hi all,

Just read this with interest. I made a small cyclone for my Record RSDE1. I used a peice of 6"pipe and a road cone. here are some pics

mesler585

mesler585

Any questions just ask. i will post more photos once I get my new camera, I have modified the inlet slightly.

Regards,

Michael

slemishwoodcrafts":bnn7tleb said:
Hi all,

Just read this with interest. I made a small cyclone for my Record RSDE1. I used a peice of 6"pipe and a road cone. here are some pics

mesler585

mesler585

Any questions just ask. i will post more photos once I get my new camera, I have modified the inlet slightly.

Regards,

Michael
Here we go:

Close-upofcyclone.jpg

cyclonetophalf.jpg

This is probably just a me thing, but can you stand the look of all that ducting tape and mess in your workshop? That's what's out me off so far, when I build one it's got to look good as well as function!

Aidan

yea, to be fair I hated the duct tape. I have changed it so that it the 63mm hose just slips on to the inlet pipe. I will take some new pics when I get back into my workshop as I'm a bit under the weather at the minute :evil: I just took delivery of my new 3hp extractor today, so I will be making a cyclone for it and will post pics when I get started on it

regards,

michael

TheTiddles":emrv963b said:
This is probably just a me thing, but can you stand the look of all that ducting tape and mess in your workshop? That's what's out me off so far, when I build one it's got to look good as well as function!

Aidan

DSCF3530.jpg

Just thought I`d post a latest piccy of my deputy clone cyclone. Most of the duct tape has been removed now, its nice and firm and sturdy (that grip fill is good stuff). Just waiting for some spare cash, then the rest of the bolts will get cropped, a good rub down all over, some etch prime and maybe a coat of black paint. Then of course a platfrom/dolly to joint it to the wet`n`dry to make it portable.

What started out as an experiment/mock-up has turned into a very useable bit of kit, I used it for around 2 hours last night, table saw, band saw and routing. Superb! I emptied the "bin" with almost no dust at all in the vac. I`d say that the collection bin is around 2.5-3 times the capacity of the vac. I had a bloody good clean and over-haul of the vac as well, suction is way up now all the filters are cleaned (and less likely to clog now 95% of the dust is collected into the bin/hopper).

Its most gratifying to hear the dust swirling inside the hopper rather than the vac!

overall cost - a few quid, most of the bits I had lying around.

just waiting for the bits for my chip extractor cyclone now...... that will be a mock up as I plan to make the real-deal from aluminium.

still well chuffed

Steve

I have thought about doing this too but space is at a premium and I may have to site it below the workshop floor in the basement.

MickCheese":1hh98e7u said:
Everyone is now on the lookout for those really large motorway cones :idea:
I just happen to have a road works cone on my front drive....

....we'll see if I have time to have a play. :D

Latest posts

Back