Digitise slides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
Years ago an uncle was a keen photographer. Nothing grand, just your typical snaps of family members, holiday trips and the like. Anyway, he has quite a collection of slides. I would like to get him a device he can use to digitise the slides so he can view them on his computer, but this is something I know absolutely nothing about. I know there are some knowledgeable photographers among the regulars here so perhaps someone is able to advise me what to get, or at least what to look for.

...perhaps someone is able to advise me what to get, or at least what to look for.

If I needed a device to scan 35mm slides, I would probably search using the words '35mm film scanner'.

Perhaps you could do this as an initial exercise and report some of the results you find, especially a target price.

You might also do well to verify that the slides he has are actually standard 35mm ones.

Given that your location is Finland, anything I find here in the UK on my local high street is unlikely to fulfil your requirements.

Veho is a good brand. There are plenty on the secondhand market. I have one but haven't got far into digitising my collection. It's a time consuming job.
Brian

Years ago I had a printer/scanner for the PC.

It had a built in device for scanning slides.
I never used it and unfortunately I don't recall the make or model. It would be obsolete now anyway.

But perhaps something more modern exists

Personally, if it's more than a few slides, I'd be looking at something with an auto bulk feed.
But you / he needs to be selective on which slides to actually scan. Time for a good sort out perhaps?
The slides often need blowing clean of dust and hairs as well.
It's quite a job.

Back