Circular Saw Vs Track Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawy

Reaction score
I am starting my woodworking journey by building my 2nd workbench (dedicated to woodworking) and want to know your suggestions. I'd need to rip 8 ft long OSB Sheets. Should I buy something like the Kreg rip cut and mount it on my Dewalt circular saw or would I be better off buying a cheap track saw like Ryobi or something?

I am starting my woodworking journey by building my 2nd workbench (dedicated to woodworking) and want to know your suggestions. I'd need to rip 8 ft long OSB Sheets. Should I buy something like the Kreg rip cut and mount it on my Dewalt circular saw or would I be better off buying a cheap track saw like Ryobi or something?
Hello and welcome to ukw . . Put it like this - once your bench is built how often will you be cutting up 8ft sheets of plywood, or osb etc . In other words what will you be making. A circular saw is invaluable but a track saw is much more accurate ( not sure about the cheap ones ) if you’re planning to use a lot of sheet goods then this is much easier and safer with a track saw than a tablesaw. So it comes down to your budget and what tools you already have if that makes sense..

How much ripping are you going to be doing and will it become something on a more regular basis, ie you work with a lot of sheet goods ?

If you are then invest in a decent track saw and parallel guides otherwise use a length of angle iron or decent ali extrusuion and just use your Dewalt circular saw to get the current task done. What are you initially making from the OSB sheets ?

Peter Millard does a lot of reviews on the Budget tracksaws - may be worth a watch
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_FksrzP3q-IuoWTiG501LQ

I use a straight edge (now have a TREND straight guide ) BUT used to have a extrusion ali straight , and also used the veener edge of furniture board in the past - mage my own guide for distance from Kerf to the mark/guide

I use osb and contri board quite alot for shelfs and desk tops etc, I only make stuff for my self and family and don't really want to be spending heaps on a good track saw hence why I suggested a cheaper ryobi or the rip cut guide from kreg.

So get yourself a good straight edge and use your Dewalt and see how things progress, I was in this position with a lump of angle iron but now use a Makita track saw, the difference is cleaner cuts and faster setup times but the end result is still the same, you cut boards to size. You might actually get better results with your dewalt and a straight edge than using a cheap tracksaw .

So get yourself a good straight edge and use your Dewalt and see how things progress, I was in this position with a lump of angle iron but now use a Makita track saw, the difference is cleaner cuts and faster setup times but the end result is still the same, you cut boards to size. You might actually get better results with your dewalt and a straight edge than using a cheap tracksaw .
So you'd definitely recommend basic straight edge vs the rip cut from kreg?
Just abit annoying since I don't really have enough room to store a 8ft straight edge so I'd have to get a 4ft and do half the cut then unclamp it and move it

Absolutely the track saw is better for sheet goods but if it's one off probably not worth it. I have the dewalt too, and made my own guide initially, many inaccurate cuts later I got the makita and it's night and day, I love it. I would save the money from the kregg guide though, if you plan on making more things with sheet goods then I'd use that money to put towards a track saw.

As ETAF said have a look at Peter Millard’s track saw reviews. I think the outcome was a cheap saw with a good blade works well. I would go for the track saw as it is very accurate and does give a very nice clean finish on laminate and conti board.
Good luck with what ever you choose.

Are you using OSB to make your bench in which case a circular saw will do it fine
If you will be cutting multiple sheets ongoing and need accuracy then track saw. Otherwise and depending on how much spare cash and space you have then circular saw will do most things for you

The problem with something like the Kreg rip cut is that it uses the edge of the board as the reference surface. On the first cut this will be spot on, but cut after cut the errors mount up, with a straight edge you can ensure the edge is straight and square, or at any other angle you want.

...since I don't really have enough room to store a 8ft straight edge... I'd have to get a 4ft and do half the cut

The conclusion you draw from lacking space is not necessarily correct.

You could make a sectional straight edge that when assembled spans the eight feet.

Slightly more difficult, you could make a folding straight edge that when unfolded spans the eight feet.

You can bootstrap an 8' straight edge from a 4' sheet: cut off a roughly 100mm wide rip (using an axe). It will have one factory edge and the other edge does not matter. Clamp back onto the material and cut another rip using the factory edge as a guide. That second piece will also have one straight edge. Cut a third rip: both edges of the third piece will be straight but not necessarily parallel. Line up two straight edges of two of the rips and use the third adjacent to them, half lapping to align. Once aligned, put the third rip on top of the other two (taking care not to move them) and screw the lot together to make the 8' long straight edge. Remove screws once finished to reduce to 4' pieces.

I have a DeWalt corded circular saw which is dual purpose, having a track saw base. (I can't recall the model no. offhand)

Possible for circular saw base to mark your material if you just run the edge against a straight edge, Doesn't happen with the track saw.

Possible for circular saw base to mark your material

Please discuss your comment in the light of him stating in the initial post that he is to use OSB.

I would be particlarly interested to hear what sort of mark the saw could make that would be detrimental to the OSB.

I’ve been where you are. Tried everything: aluminium extrusion as a guide, made my own wooden track, because I owned a good circular saw. I bought a Lidl track saw - it’s excellent. Track saw will make your wood working life better and you won’t regret it.

I now also have a dewalt track saw for my bench, and I use the Lidl one for portable work e.g. ripping sheets

My advice is don’t faff - go and buy a track saw

Please discuss your comment in the light of him stating in the initial post that he is to use OSB.

I would be particlarly interested to hear what sort of mark the saw could make that would be detrimental to the OSB.
True, but he only using OSB this build. Imagine not knowing it can scratch a surface and the OP decides to rip down a nice bit of veneered ply or trim the edge of a finished top, they're gonna be really pineappled when it gets scratched.
So forewarned is forearmed.

Track saws are fantastic, so quick and easy to use as @sammy.se said just get one, you will soon wonder how you managed without it.

Back