Roundover on a small piece?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some small pieces of hardwood 70mm x 15mm x 2mm.

I'd like to put a 1mm roundover on the edge.
I have a router table but don't really want to take the ends of my fingers off.
How's the best way to do it? Can you buy small roundover bits that small?
Or build some sort of jig/ holder or maybe use a jig and a sander? Any ideas?
Thanks

Roundover bits are available down to a radius of 1 mm. I would just push the pieces along a router table fence with two rubber faced pads. Cut the crossgrain sides first as there may be a little tearout. You will get a more consistent finish than sanding.

Router fastened to a stout board and overhung on the edge of the bench, the hole for the cutter just big enough and the fence fashioned to be a snug fit around the cutter. This provides minimal access to the cutter for the fingers while hand feeding
JUST NOTICED THE 2MM THICKNESS
That's a thin one!

I think I would look to a suitable "bullnose" bit.
EDIT maybe not as I've just realised you possibly mean just the one face but the following still stands for a round over.

Feed all the 15mm ends first BEFORE cutting to 15mm strips.
This leaves just the one process of feeding past the 70mm edges which can be passed under a thin sub fence if you feel the need.
Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
Yes it can be done with a small rounding over cutter it's how you approach doing the cut in safety, I had some small stepped rounds to do for a clock and used a Dremel, I made an attachment to use as a router and made a great job.

Dremel.jpg

I'd agree with using a finely set and sharp block plane and as others have mentioned go across grain 1st.
I find that this gives a cleaner finish than sanding where the tendency is to over-soften the ends as pressure on the block is only bearing on a tiny piece of the work-piece.

Back