Circular Saw Vs Track Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used my erabaur tracksaw today to make a freestanding internal storage unit for a wardrobe from 18mm MFC, carefully marked out sizes and cut with tracksaw, 8 shelves, 2 sides and a back, don't need any other trimming or adjustments. Perfect square parallel cuts ready to assemble straight off the tracksaw,nota scratch in sight. 😁😁

I have both a Lidl (Parkside) track saw and a Festool TS55 - both use the same type tracks. While the Festool is certainly a better quality machine, the Parkside saw (fitted with a decent Freud blade) performs just as well. Available in our local Lidl just last week at £79.99 with two 700mm rails. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I like that you have made something using basic joinery without the need for any fancy tooling like doweling jigs, Domino or Lamello which shows people getting into woodworking that you can make stuff with a basic range of tools and do not need to spend a fortune. Maybe the only advantage to more expensive jointing is with durability but if something meets your requirements then that is success.

I have both a Lidl (Parkside) track saw and a Festool TS55 - both use the same type tracks. While the Festool is certainly a better quality machine, the Parkside saw (fitted with a decent Freud blade) performs just as well. Available in our local Lidl just last week at £79.99 with two 700mm rails. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
There are some instructions online about how to perfectly calibrate the Festool tracksaw, specifically the Toe in / out, using a piece of paper. Great thing is, the Parkside (Lidl) has the same calibration mechanism. I followed the Festool guide, and had my Lidl making perfectly glue ready joints. It's a great bit of kit when you put a decent blade it (the blade it comes with is great for breaking down materials, but not so good for quality cuts on boards like veneered Ply/MDF) .

I will saw that my Dewalt cuts through wood much more easily - so I guess the trade off is power.

Since i Have tips on the brain: A great way to clean your saw blades is to use a clothes washing liqui-tab thingy. I put my blade in a shallow container (plastic usually) and break in a couple of liquitabs so that the blade is covered. I sometimes add a bit of water if the liquid is too thick. leave it for 24-48 hours submerged, then I wash off with a toothbrush. All the resin, etc comes right off. Easy peasy.

Used my erabaur tracksaw today to make a freestanding internal storage unit for a wardrobe from 18mm MFC, carefully marked out sizes and cut with tracksaw, 8 shelves, 2 sides and a back, don't need any other trimming or adjustments. Perfect square parallel cuts ready to assemble straight off the tracksaw,nota scratch in sight. 😁😁
Do you have problems with the back end of the Erbauer jumping out of the track? I’m only cutting stuff roughly at the moment but it keeps jumping out and not sure what I’ve done wrong.

Do you have problems with the back end of the Erbauer jumping out of the track? I’m only cutting stuff roughly at the moment but it keeps jumping out and not sure what I’ve done wrong.
Never had fhat problem.
Have you adjusted the cam screws on the base so saw is a snug fit in the track?
Make sure you are pushing evenly and square to the blade, if you are pushing at an angle and forcing the cut too much that could be a problem.

Also make sure you give the saw time to cut with the correct blade , Big enough gullets for MFC and is sharp , Don't force it by pushing to hard.

Last edited:
I had the same decision making progress a while ago as I was fed up with my Makita 110 Volt circular saw due to power converter. So I wanted something 230 Volt. I have decided on a tracksaw, bought the Makita one, but a friend has the Erbauer one and it looks good too. I am not regretting it, it's precise and is less heavy than my circular.

Latest posts

Back