Saw blade thickness and safe handling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often wear a glove for heat protection on my left hand when turning because the shavings coming off a bowl or roughing gouge get really hot. It's always behind the rest though and away from the chuck. Always wear a woodturners jacket as well. Yep, it's got long sleeves (secured with velcro I suppose). I just keep away from rotatey bits.

I've seen this written before but wonder if it's a bit of a myth?
I use a pair of rigger gloves where necessary, with bigger boards/timbers, as the improved grip gives much better control and surely must be a lot safer. Not much use for protection (except from splinters) but definitely good for better control.
I use Leather 'Framers gloves' when cutting sheets of ply.
Thumb. index and middle finger are uncovered, but pinkie and next finger are covered. I completely agree that full gloves are a very bad idea around machinery but the framers' glove ensures very few splinters and comfy handling particularly with 18mm 8x4 sheets.

I always use a plunge/track saw for initial sheet cutting but after that when the timber is no more than 600mm wide I prefer my table saw and or mitre saw depending what's happening

By the way Dirty Rigger leather grip gloves

Those two stands look good.

Have just discovered the Kreg Rip-cut. The build quality looks a bit plastic and reviews states that it's a nuisance to set up, but worth the effort. I would like to to go for a higher quality guide, but don't see any. Supposed to fit 'most' saws, so I hope that means mine. If I had to, I could upgrade a new saw to match, already have Ryobi charger and batt.
Then it can charge from the solar array - when it's finished.

Latest posts

Back