Church Pew to Corner Bench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'll feel more satisfied when I see the mitre pulled up. I think I'll have to transport it to the kitchen to get a flat floor.

Chems it looks good so far.
I planed off one seat base as you can see to see what it is, some sort of oak?
I'm not very good on softwoods but that looks like pitch pine to me.

Alan

Woody Alan":b8sjcl12 said:
I planed off one seat base as you can see to see what it is, some sort of oak?
I'm not very good on softwoods but that looks like pitch pine to me.

I would agree, a pine of some type, definitely not oak, but it should be old growth pine. Nice and stable and it makes a lovely smell in the shop when you cut it. :D
I bought a few old pew seats from a church that was replacing them with modern seating, if you look here you can see a small cabinet I made from it.

It does look a bit like it. Its just so heavy and hard to cut I'd have thought it was some sort of oak?

That looks like pitch pine to me, also. It is traditionally what these kind of pews were made of. The grainer's much closer than redwood and I believe there's a higher resin/sap content with pitch pine - which would explain why you're finding it so tough to work! :D Try waxing the side of the your saw and plane soles, it may help.

Still having good fun with these mitres. Haven't taken into account the 5 degree slope on the seat base so that mitre doesn't join up. Hoping to get that sorted this evening and hopefully get a semi decent join.

Latest posts

Back