Car wheel security nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd agree with @Sachakins - ex-biker used to clock up a lot of miles and always carried a gunge kit just to get you home. in 10y of riding only had to use it once - was in rush hour traffic one winters evening on the M40 just past the M25 junction and there'd been a rear-end in front of me, glass and debris everywhere and in the dark pretty difficult to avoid. Got home without drama but following morning had a flat rear so pumped it up with the gunge and rode into London carefully to head to my favourite tyre shop in Catford - Watlings.
They were not pleased when they took the old tyre off, loads of solvent used to wash the residue of the alloy rim and the tyre was replaced, the original having been punctured by what looked like a bayonet headlight holder, so multiple incisions in a ~10-13mm circle.
They charged me an extra £25 for the privilege but super service and no waiting for a recovery vehicle besides the motorway so all-in-all worth the extra!

Thanks for that. Run flat tyres are news to me! https://www.kwik-fit.com/blog/discover-run-flat-tyres-how-they-work#
Looks like I need to buy a spare wheel then
Have to say that BMW European Assist where fantastic when I needed them, they brought two tyres from Germany that took seven days, picked up the car on a low loader then my wife drove it back to the UK after they had been fitted, I had an important Hospital appointment in two days, so they sent a taxi to pick me up and put me on an aircraft to get back to the UK, met at Heathrow airport by another taxi and taken home, all curtesy of BMW European Assist.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is save yourself the trouble and leave the car at home. I know you're a keen touring cyclist and France is fantastic on the bike as you no doubt know. The child bride and I have done many thousands of km's there cycling with just a couple of panniers, sleeping bags and a tiny tent. We'd be there again like a shot if we didn't live so blooming far away - you lucky guy!

Best thing to do is save yourself the trouble and leave the car at home. I know you're a keen touring cyclist and France is fantastic on the bike as you no doubt know. The child bride and I have done many thousands of km's there cycling with just a couple of panniers, sleeping bags and a tiny tent. .........
Same here, and other bits of Europe. We getting a bit past it - 80 next birthday. The last trip was from Cherbourg along the coast but we came off at St Malo due to bad weather and arthritis - getting the leg over with two heavy panniers just a bit of a struggle. Camping not the same either - huge campervans on all sides of our little tent, like camping in a lorry park.
Hoping to hire bikes on this trip.

Just remember in France they do not stock run flat tyres, so the advice to have a spare wheel is well founded, ten year veteran of driving to our holiday home in Dordogne.
I had a blow-out on an autoroute in Provence, just a 'common or garden' Michelin, & could I find a replacement - NO! (maybe cos it was a 185-65-15) The first place I tried didn't have anything, at the second garage a mechanic went off to look, but after about 10 - 15 minutes the boss came out saying; "Fermé", & virtually telling me to 'Foxtrot Oscar'. With a "Stick your pneus. I'll buy one back home!" I carried on my hols, which I did with no further problems.

I had a blow-out on an autoroute in Provence, just a 'common or garden' Michelin, & could I find a replacement - NO! (maybe cos it was a 185-65-15) The first place I tried didn't have anything, at the second garage a mechanic went off to look, but after about 10 - 15 minutes the boss came out saying; "Fermé", & virtually telling me to 'Foxtrot Oscar'. With a "Stick your pneus. I'll buy one back home!" I carried on my hols, which I did with no further problems.
Maybe it was approaching 12.00 when everyone goes off for their 2 hour lunch hour?

Same here, and other bits of Europe. We getting a bit past it - 80 next birthday. The last trip was from Cherbourg along the coast but we came off at St Malo due to bad weather and arthritis - getting the leg over with two heavy panniers just a bit of a struggle. Camping not the same either - huge campervans on all sides of our little tent, like camping in a lorry park.
Hoping to hire bikes on this trip.
I was one of those, not quite 'huge' campervan users, after having given up tenting due to my late wife's health, and later my own, which saw an end to the 'van. Which turned out to be a good decision, as I could not cope with all the BS of travelling abroad nowadays, although I found France one of the best countries for campingcar hols. GB is 'not campervan friendly', compared with mainland Europe, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

No, one was after 2pm & the second one was about 4pm. Italy's worse, they shut down 12:00 - 15:00, even filling stations, I found out in later years.
Sorry, getting off topic here - some years back we landed in France with our bikes and gear to do a long cycle tour and thought it advisable to stop first at a bike shop to buy a puncture repair kit. We didn't bring one with us as the rubber glue is prohibited on aircraft. Apparently you can destroy an aeroplane and annihilate everyone on board with a tiny tube of puncture repair adhesive which is why I now always carry one in my pocket - I feel very safe when out and about at night knowing that I have something so small yet insanely powerful on me for my protection in case of trouble.
Luckily the bike shop man had good English and seeing that we were from NZ wanted to talk rugby and the All Blacks which he did... at length. Then he got interested in my Cannondale bike which he was not at all familiar with. This lead to another long conversation which was a bit irritating as we had 70 odd kms to cover to our campsite and I was keen to get going. Finally I was able to ask for a repair kit whereupon he looked at his watch which had just ticked it way to 12.00pm and he said it was now lunchtime - come back at 2.00pm.
The child bride has a knack of remaining calm in situations like this which is just as well as without her restraining influence there could have well been an 'international incident.'

Sorry, getting off topic here - some years back we landed in France with our bikes and gear to do a long cycle tour and thought it advisable to stop first at a bike shop to buy a puncture repair kit. We didn't bring one with us as the rubber glue is prohibited on aircraft. Apparently you can destroy an aeroplane and annihilate everyone on board with a tiny tube of puncture repair adhesive which is why I now always carry one in my pocket - I feel very safe when out and about at night knowing that I have something so small yet insanely powerful on me for my protection in case of trouble.
Luckily the bike shop man had good English and seeing that we were from NZ wanted to talk rugby and the All Blacks which he did... at length. Then he got interested in my Cannondale bike which he was not at all familiar with. This lead to another long conversation which was a bit irritating as we had 70 odd kms to cover to our campsite and I was keen to get going. Finally I was able to ask for a repair kit whereupon he looked at his watch which had just ticked it way to 12.00pm and he said it was now lunchtime - come back at 2.00pm.
The child bride has a knack of remaining calm in situations like this which is just as well as without her restraining influence there could have well been an 'international incident.'
That is typically French! I suspect both Messieurs were more interested in the bottles of wine awaiting them, rather than selling something to 'English (Rosbifs) speakers'.;)

The only way I would put a non-stock nut/bolt on a wheel would be to get out of the bush and back to civilization and then I would replace it with the correct one asap. You have no way of knowing if the nut is of good steel or made of peanut butter.

Pete

My car only came with sealant and an Air Pump. I paid a little extra for a spare wheel. They were going to remove the air pump until I insisted that I wanted it.

Latest posts

Back