Car Insurance rip-off by One-Call

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubber

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
At the end of August, I got a Notice of Intended Prosecution (N.I.P) for a speeding fine, SP30. I completed the paperwork, sent it off and received the resultant prosecution result letter a month later, the day before a trip to Scotland. I now had 3 points. Knowing it would almost invalidate any claim I might have had to make if I failed to inform my insurers, I telephoned One Call, informed the operative and asked her to re-negotiate my premium to reflect my 3 point penalty, my first and only (to Date!)

In August I had just renewed for £330.

After much faffing and unlikely sounding figures I relented, paid by card under pressure over the 'phone and resolved to sort it out on my return as I clearly had to be insured for the long forthcoming journey.

On my return I appeared to have paid One Call the £330 in August, and in September a further £270, i.e. £600! Puzzled at the huge jump I completed an on-line quote, disclosing the conviction to check their figures.

This is a print out of the on-line call-

To One Call Insurance on line Me 'What are you charging me per year for my insurance, I can't find the total figure on the portal'

Kirstin B You have paid a total of £600.72 this includes your policy and the conviction added.

Me Thank you. I have just filled in a quote request on Money Supermarket, your One Call quote is only £457. Why? I have disclosed all the details of my SP30 conviction .

Kirstin B You paid 330 but then we found an undisclosed which added £270.67 to your policy. These are the rates set by your insurer

Me What do mean 'you found an undisclosed'?? I contacted you as soon as I knew I had the conviction to inform you. The same details as I have put into the on line quote.

Kirsten B I am sorry but these are the rates which you insurer has charged. We do not set the prices as the broker then insurers do

Me So why does the online quote for One Call give £457 with the conviction taken into account ? £270 is a huge jump, its normally £35-55 extra for 3 points

Kirstin B The conviction was added mid term. I am sorry but we do not know why the insurers charge the rates they do...

Basically, they are saying they knew of the conviction before me, raised my premium by £270 and expected me to pay until which time I was not fully uninsured. I asked to cancel the policy and accept the lower One-Call on-line quote. They agreed to cancel the policy, but I would still have to pay the £270 as at the time I was insured I had an 'undisclosed conviction'.

It took two more calls, with persons of increasingly less numptiness to agree to cancel my policy, return only £365 of my £600, and then ask if I wanted to set up the £457 quoted One-Call policy.

It took a great deal of self control to tell them what to do with it, and re-insured with Tesco for 12 months for £404, including the SP30 conviction.

The point of this rant?

1. If you get a notice of intended prosecution (NIP) for a 30mph speeding offence tell your insurers right away or it migh become an 'undisclosed'.
2. By failing to update your insurers of the N.I.P. on receipt you may find that in the interim (before receipt of an actual notice of prosecution) you may be insured only as far as the Traffic Act requires, no comprehensive, no protected no claims, no recovery etc., etc..

To the best of my knowledge insurers have no access to upcoming prosecutions and can only see a prosecution once your licence has been endorsed on the DVLA system.
IMO they're pulling a fast one and I would strongly suspect that's the broker who has used the underwriter as an excuse.

Back