Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In or out, we can see and hear that we are ruled by folk who live in another world, with their distorted emotionally driven view more strongly held than ours, I fear. That simple Simon er..Duncan Smith, says he is deeply religious-how the hell can that sit with his view of trading domination? It's all humbug at the top!

All the UK's riches when we had them, came from Empire via private armies and the odd gunboat, by plunder of raw material, processed by the industrial revolution, and sold back to the Empire, with the odd cargo of slaves to fill an empty hold. Later benefit of early industrialisation gave us an easy sell of heavy engineering till the end of the Edwardian age, since when we have been happily declining. We need another industrial revolution to be that rich again. It will have to be high tec because of labour costs, and we don't seem to be very good at keeping good ideas for oursleves. Further, we have cut back on education and training to the point that finding a skilled workforce is not easy. Korea put human resource development into top gear about 20 years ago, realising that low skilled jobs would be moving to low wage economies. Hi tec revolutions demand huge long term investment, not the UK's favouite short term gain. It's likely that only the most powerful blocs, China, USA, EU, will have the cash to succed in that regard.

Needing some new diamond sharpening plates, had a look on Ali Express for a couple at 600 grit. £2.60 each, £5.20 total, free post. Checkout, now charging VAT at 20% !! Ahhrgh!! ( abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief )

Replying to Sploo

Job done.
Optimism
Lots of slagging off remainers flow charts for importing.
Remainers are still bitter
Much as you would expect etc etc

As I said, it's pure tribalism, you and others support one team, totally loyal, won't allow another team to critisicise your team, but you can question your own teams choices.
You can try and tell me that's not how it is, but it's true, you know it is.
In the past it has spilled over into other threads, just to slag off / pick an arguement with the opposition.

Same happened in the covid thread, totally polarised, one way or the other no inbetween.
In real life that doesn't happen, it's just the internet, hence it shouldn't be taken to seriously.

Also, honestly most have been so knocked back by covid and it's consequences that Brexit is now nothing but a pimple. Also 90% of public don't care, non political, more important things in life.

I'll also add, why is this thread allowed but others have been removed. Maybe a question for Noel (is he still a mod), I think he ran the other threads.
P.S. I don't want the thread removed, I'd like to know why the others were removed if this one is OK.

Last edited:

I'll also add, why is this thread allowed but others have been removed. Maybe a question for Noel (is he still a mod), I think he ran the other threads.
P.S. I don't want the thread removed, I'd like to know why the others were removed if this one is OK.
This one's OK cos it's all quite civilised - so far!
People seemed to be real upset by all the political stuff, which is interesting in itself. It's as though they were really surprised and shocked to hear opinions different from their own. Personally I'm quite used to it!

Probably because certain members didn't get involved (I think they have left).

This one's OK cos it's all quite civilised - so far!

Yes, eventually I noticed that all my lengthy rants, full of threats to signing people up to lifetime subscriptions to Fine Woodworking and Readers Digest, were just disappearing. It took me a while to notice because I don't actually listen to myself. I'd hate to realise how stupid my arguments are. I should probably have been a Tory.

In or out, we can see and hear that we are ruled by folk who live in another world, with their distorted emotionally driven view more strongly held than ours, I fear. That simple Simon er..Duncan Smith, says he is deeply religious-how the hell can that sit with his view of trading domination? It's all humbug at the top!

All the UK's riches when we had them, came from Empire via private armies and the odd gunboat, by plunder of raw material, processed by the industrial revolution, and sold back to the Empire, with the odd cargo of slaves to fill an empty hold. Later benefit of early industrialisation gave us an easy sell of heavy engineering till the end of the Edwardian age, since when we have been happily declining. We need another industrial revolution to be that rich again. It will have to be high tec because of labour costs, and we don't seem to be very good at keeping good ideas for oursleves. Further, we have cut back on education and training to the point that finding a skilled workforce is not easy. Korea put human resource development into top gear about 20 years ago, realising that low skilled jobs would be moving to low wage economies. Hi tec revolutions demand huge long term investment, not the UK's favouite short term gain. It's likely that only the most powerful blocs, China, USA, EU, will have the cash to succed in that regard.

Needing some new diamond sharpening plates, had a look on Ali Express for a couple at 600 grit. £2.60 each, £5.20 total, free post. Checkout, now charging VAT at 20% !! Ahhrgh!! ( abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief )

Ivan, that is how it is. Spot on.

Last edited:
You know this is going to be the big debate this year. Problem is, England looks very small if Scotland leave, and then you have Faslane submarine base....
Good point. It could be a Culloden replay but with nuclear weapons. :unsure:

I am thinking of starting a petition in Westminstter for signing it will be to outlaw retrospectively and for always dual nationality for any uk citizen unless they were physically born in the country of which they also claim to be a citizen or unless they are a current full time resident and qualify for dual citizenship through naturalisation. It will also propose that it would be illegal to hold more than £15K in a non UK mainland bank account as a private citizen unless you are permanently domiciled in the nation in which the account is located. The penalty would be forfeiture of all UK assests including overseas territories.
Call it the "we are in it together act".

What do you think

Last edited:
We have spent over four years arguing about Brexit and getting terribly heated in debate. It has now happened. Get used to it!

I thought then, and still think it profoundly stupid. In the short term we have lost far more than we have gained. Whether it is justified by longer term benefits or political dogma is debatable.

Public trust in political debate and media reporting has never been lower. The whole saga may have done more damage to the UK and democracy than the act of Brexit.

It is utterly pointless revisiting the decision. We will never know for sure if it was the right thing to do - politicians and the media will simply dig out data which supports whatever contention they want to promote.

And if all else fails, any outcome will be ascribed to the pandemic.

The best strategy is now to accept the outcome and focus on making it work - anything else is quite simply futile waste of energy.

I am thinking of starting a petition in Westminstter for signing it will be to outlaw retrospectively and for always dual nationality for any uk citizen unless they were physically born in the country of which they also claim to be a citizen or unless they are a current full time resident and qualify for dual citizenship through naturalisation. It will also propose that it would be illegal to hold more than £15K in a non UK mainland bank account as a private citizen unless you are permanently domiciled in the nation in which the account is located. The penalty would be forfeiture of all UK assests including overseas territories.
Call it the "we are in it together act".

What do you think

Singapore don't allow dual citizenship, if you want to be part of their country, you commit to it.

People would find a way round the £15k limit, for example form a limited company in the Cayman Islands, and loan it lots of your money, then it's technically the company's not your private money.

I have an offshore bank account that I still use since it has a sort code, when I sell my property I'll instantly become a criminal and have all my money forfeited... unless there's a rule allowing certain situations, which will then need adjusting as more problems are found, and then people use those changes as loopholes.

Complex subject.
Only thing I know is they told us if we joined the "then" common market, that prices would rise a lot. and they did.

Then they said if we leave the "EU" prices will rise substantially.

As far as I can see the only thing you can bet on is price increases.

We have spent over four years arguing about Brexit and getting terribly heated in debate. It has now happened. Get used to it!
The best strategy is now to accept the outcome and focus on making it work - anything else is quite simply futile waste of energy.

Using the same formula.
We were in the EU, people should have got used to it, accepted it and focused on making it work, anything else was a waste of energy.
If Nicola Sturgeon could only just understand the act of union in 1707 has been signed and done (at the time it was one of the most unpopular political moves ever to have taken place north of the border. Sound familiar?).

My point?
In a democracy we can vote again, mistakes happen, this is why you have these kind of discussions. I am alarmed at the rhetoric that has been and is being used by the government. I will always question. Yes I am here for wood talk because "normal" people don't get that (they glaze over, ever had that?), but I am also interested in what a like minded group of (not normal LOL) people think about the world they live in. Agree, disagree, no matter, it allows me to check my thoughts and balance what is right and wrong morally for me.

I appreciate your post, and I hope your faith in Boris and the cabinet he has chosen is well founded and I am wrong, I really mean that, but I can't shake this bad feeling I have. I keep imagining 10 years from now young people saying to me "seriously, you didn't realise they were acting irresponsibly, I mean the things they said!".....

Just thinking.

• Does anyone on here have any import/export knowledge that would help small producers/private buyers get the best deal selling/buying from the UK/EU?
  • Is there a way, obviously legal, but to our benefit that a group/association could trade new and used goods between UK and EU?
  • I expect some of you are in the EU on a local forum, what is being said in those forums, and do they have any ideas of how we can trade tools, goods and equipment.
  • New, used, collectable and antique, do any of these carry less tax burden?

Just thinking.
  • New, used, collectable and antique, do any of these carry less tax burden?

Only antiques, over 100 years old is subject to 5% VAT. Must be in qualifying categories too.

The new rules look incredibly simple though, which is amazing for a tax regime.

Replying to Sploo

Job done.
Optimism
Lots of slagging off remainers flow charts for importing.
Remainers are still bitter
Much as you would expect etc etc
Agreed.

I guess my point is that, if the end goal was simply "leave" (with no other considerations) then it's absolutely job done - we've left, and there's no arguing about that.

But, given that we already have a number of concrete and known downsides, there must be some other upsides that are being discussed - otherwise it's essentially a celebration of self harm?

Ironically, one of the criticisms of Brexit was that it could allow erosion of workers' rights, and lowering of standards (in order to increase profits). However, given the number of concessions made to sign a deal (e.g. acceptance of penalties for diverging standards), I wonder if the hardline Brexiteers even got that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back