Bowl Shaped router bit to make a fluted panel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a fluted panel out of white oak for a piece I am working on and have come across panels like this on the internet. I have searched around and can't seem to find a decent router bit which will produce this effect. Am I being especially dim or is this some kind of dark magic?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 10.57.10.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 10.57.10.png
    2.7 MB
Its called a cove shape individually but is more likely done on a spindle moulder with a fluting cutter which can do loads of coves at once.

Cheersfor the help - found some bits which will work with my router. Have a good jig so will try it out.

Thanks
Joe

We have recently purchased some of those sheets, the image is from the surface studio In Winchester. Seems like good stuff.

Bowl and Tray bits have a different profile to the cove bits.
Bowl bits are really for putting a radius on inside of Bowl while at same time giving a flat bottom to the Bowl.

Ball nose/round cove bits generally only give a round flute whereas true cove bits give a shallower but more gentle hollow curve.without needing depths as deep.

This is more traditional bowl bitScreenshot_20241014_211208_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Whereas a shallow or crown cove bit is more like this

Screenshot_20241014_211455_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Back