Bosch Shredder - Last chance saloon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the ATX 1600 is the older version of the ATX 2200 which I currently have and that works really well even though it now has no wheels and has to be carried around. The 1600 is a helix type cutter whilst the 2200 uses a blade and is a much simpler design and for composting having it chopped up with a blade is supposed to be better. For anyone wanting to shred then as a freebie it has to be worth a go if you live nearby, which @John Duffy you are not giving us any clues ! Giving some idea of your location can be very helpful in situations like this because there just might be someone close by who would jump on the offer.
Hi, sorry - thought location was public! I'm in Leeds. I'll have a look at it first and see what's what. Then offer it here.

This Bosch shredder has been given to me.
The motor runs fine, but to be honest I have found it worse than useless at shredding. I wondered if it just needs a sharpen, or new blades. I've had a similar MacGregor unit in the past, and although brand new, that wasn't much better. So my expectations are low, and I don't have the time to waste on it.
Any thoughts or advice before it goes to the tip?
Thanks
John
View attachment 186904

I used to have one of these. Great at branches and dry twigs, but put anything green or bendy in it and it would clog. Used to have to leave cuttings for a few days to dry out before attempting to stick them through the shredder. Eventually the motor blew and I tipped it. Never bothered replacing it. It was pretty quiet, though.

Hi, my 2 cents worth - I have one of this brand, Hansa. https://www.hansaproducts.com/gb/products/gravity-feed-wood-chippers/#chippers-40to130mm-uk They are made in NZ and are very good and robust. My c7 chips branches up to 70 mm but will do bigger if you are careful and has chipped numerous trees on our 2 1/2 acres over 15 years. It has a large heavy rotating disk, with 2 knives and an anvil. Its rather noisy for a suburban environment but brilliant for a bigger plot. The one in the link is electric and may be more suitable than mine for the suburbs although I haven't tried this particular model.

They are NOT plastic!

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Ive left an old bosch blade type shredder with my neighbour, with the safety top section removed you can pour apples straight through and out innto a polytub drops a mix of apple and juice with he then pressses for cider, its works extremely well for doing this!

I have a viking 365, very expensive new but you occasionally find them second hand. Mine was £80.
Pretty noisy if you put big branches through it but will take just about anything you can get in there. Spinning blades so can be sharpened very easily. Last year cleared a very overgrown garden for a friend, ended up with a 9 yard skip full of shreddings, mostly brambles. Some were about 40mm thick, and various small trees Had it running more or less continuously all day for a week and never missed a beat.
Only criticism would be the exit shute is quite close to the ground, about a foot or so I would guess. So needs a shallowish tray if you want to collect the chippings easily. It is pretty powerful and the stuff comes out of the chute at quite a rate of knots.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've gone for the Makita UD2500. £225.
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-ud2500-2500w-electric-shredder
I need the organic material even if not composted, to bury in new beds in this hard pan clay soil. Also as a mulch.
had a first go with the Makita. Seems fine and does the job. I still have to reduce stuff to a size that it will take through the narrow mouth but it pulls shrubby bits through quite well.
It's a small garden machine really and wouldn't take a lot of heavy use IMHO. You can't just lob in fork-fulls of stuff, it has to be carefully posted through the slot.
Doesn't cut soft stuff - just nicks it in passing.
Does cut woody stuff well - max 45 mm it says, but up to about 25mm for me as anything bigger I'm saving for the wood-stove.
Has a fairly large collecting box which is handy.
Good so far!
PS youtube here, seems fairly realistic

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back