Benchtop workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In extension of my introduction - built during Covid lockdowns as distraction from the worrying things going on outside. Needed to get past the horrid Workmate and thought a bench for the kitchen table would be good thing. Turns out building a workbench is easier using one - so I have both now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_125544_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200823_125544_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_20200823_125642_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200823_125642_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_20200823_125702_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200823_125702_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB
Hi Mel
I like that, what timber is used ? Is the top a kitchen worktop offcut ?
Hi, thanks for your comment. All the lightcoloured wood is from a 28mm kitchen work top offcut in birch, two layers glued together, top ends are dark red meranti and the rail it stands on are sapeli. Would use 40mm worktop instead if I was building another one, the thing is quite heavy and it saves prepping, gluing etc.

Hi Mel

Hi, thanks for your comment. All the lightcoloured wood is from a 28mm kitchen work top offcut in birch, two layers glued together, top ends are dark red meranti and the rail it stands on are sapeli. Would use 40mm worktop instead if I was building another one, the thing is quite heavy and it saves prepping, gluing etc.
That's a fine looking workbench. It so happens that im making a mini benchtop right now, almost complete. Its not a stitch on yours thou, thats awesome.

Where did you get the hardware for the vice please? Great idea, you may have just started a trend!
Hi, the second hand Woden vice is from a well known online shop starting with 'e', what looks like Moxon hardware (under the benchtop): acme threaded rods and matching nuts are from a canibalised Workmate bench + some homemade bits to secure straight movement. Visible parts: Handwheels, cranks, thumbnuts and self-adjusting pillow block bearings form above online shop. Seems I have to write this down in detail.
While I had a plan, there are no drawings.

acme threaded rods and matching nuts are from a canibalised Workmate bench + some homemade bits to secure straight movement.

What are the homemade bits? can't quite put my finger on it, part of a gate/cabin hook springs to mind, and did you tap them to accept the threaded rod?
Either way very impressive work (y)

What are the homemade bits? can't quite put my finger on it, part of a gate/cabin hook springs to mind, and did you tap them to accept the threaded rod?
Either way very impressive work (y)
Here comes the hardware: the cylinder and thread rod: Old workmate bench, steel bar *bay, eyescrew from mandrawer. Cylinder originally attaches to workmate vice board with machine screw. Now fixed through steel bar. Eyescrew drilled to accomodate threaded rod. Hole in flat bar is threaded and eyescrew fixed to bar with one nut from underneath due to lacking space as it needs to pass under Woden vice bars (above would allow for easier adjustment but only needs to be done once).
20241017_184651.jpg

20241017_184843.jpg
20241017_185329.jpg

20241017_185421.jpg
20241017_190033.jpg

The ends of acme rod were machined by a friend and threaded to M8, handwheel comes with 7mm bore easily tapped to M8, thumbscrew keeps all in place, just in case.

Attachments

• 20241017_184753.jpg
    20241017_184753.jpg
    1.2 MB
Back