Beginner router kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croolis

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought Bosch plunge router 'cos I want to practise mortising.

I've bought a Makita trim router because I want to mount it into router table (cheers fella ;) ) .

Both 1/4" (with 6mm and 8mm collet on plunge router at least, unsure of trim router 'cos not delivered yet).

I'll be getting separately a 2 flute upcut bit for the mortising.

But what about this? Worth it do you think for an absolute beginner?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-SET-...088-a70c-897e318f1444&pd_rd_i=B004ZRMO30&th=1

Thanks for help :) .

The problem with "sets" is that you'll get quite a few cutters that you'll never use - better to work out what you might need and buy individual ones [Tip: Trend has an ebay shop's that's usually cheaper than their online store]

Worth it do you think for an absolute beginner?
Generally sets are a bit of a waste of money as you'll buy cutters you'll never end up using. However for that price, £22, it's probably worth it. There's probably 4 or 5 cutters there you'll find useful in the long term, so a decent saving over buying individually.
Trend used to be a well regarded make, but at this price you're probably getting 'Made in China' cheap and cheerful cutters which should be OK for occasional use.

If you don't use a few cutters, so what at that price? I have the Trend 1/4" and 1/2" sets (35 years for the 1/2", and I have an untouched replacement set - it's cheaper than getting them sharpened) - I can't fault them for value. All my heavily used stuff is Wealden bought as needed, but the sets are a good start. Incidentally, the thickness of the cutters is exactly the same from the new to the old.

Generally sets are a bit of a waste of money as you'll buy cutters you'll never end up using. However for that price, £22, it's probably worth it. There's probably 4 or 5 cutters there you'll find useful in the long term, so a decent saving over buying individually.
Trend used to be a well regarded make, but at this price you're probably getting 'Made in China' cheap and cheerful cutters which should be OK for occasional use.
I'l disagree here and say small sets are a good start, and theres always the chance you need something obscure. Plus if you do need something obscure its nice to have it and be ready to go rather than have to wait a week for something to arrive.

Trent green(hobby) make a good range and you can get things like finger jointer at a fraction of the cost of pro stuff. Chances are youre only going to use it a few times and why spend 100 quid plus on some pro cutter for that

Bearing guided template cutters are good to have in both long and short format, as well as rebate cutters - but make sure you got a set with a range of bearings

The corner mitre lock is also a good cutter, and very handy. Stile and rail cutters are good for things like kitchen doors, but like the corner mitre lock, the stile/rail needs very careful setting up, and always check for each door so it hasnt moved

Oh, and big cutters are best in 1/2" as the thin shank on a 1/4" with a big body can vibrate its way out the collet a bit. 1/2" is really sturdy, so maybe keep small moulding cutters at 1/4 and the bigger ones are 1/2
As ever small cuts and multiple passes are considerably better than attempting the whole cut in a single pass. In a final pass, only cutting a fraction of a mm with cut very quickly and very easily as is good to remove any burn marks

Ebay 2nd hand is a good place to buy from.

Last edited:
I've found those trend sets amazing value. There decent quality. Tooling and jigs are the key things that make a router so so versatile.(you can often make the jigs yourself but the tooling has to be brought. The only cheaper way is used imho.

Back