Beginner router kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croolis

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought Bosch plunge router 'cos I want to practise mortising.

I've bought a Makita trim router because I want to mount it into router table (cheers fella ;) ) .

Both 1/4" (with 6mm and 8mm collet on plunge router at least, unsure of trim router 'cos not delivered yet).

I'll be getting separately a 2 flute upcut bit for the mortising.

But what about this? Worth it do you think for an absolute beginner?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-SET-...088-a70c-897e318f1444&pd_rd_i=B004ZRMO30&th=1

Thanks for help :) .

The problem with "sets" is that you'll get quite a few cutters that you'll never use - better to work out what you might need and buy individual ones [Tip: Trend has an ebay shop's that's usually cheaper than their online store]

Worth it do you think for an absolute beginner?
Generally sets are a bit of a waste of money as you'll buy cutters you'll never end up using. However for that price, £22, it's probably worth it. There's probably 4 or 5 cutters there you'll find useful in the long term, so a decent saving over buying individually.
Trend used to be a well regarded make, but at this price you're probably getting 'Made in China' cheap and cheerful cutters which should be OK for occasional use.

If you don't use a few cutters, so what at that price? I have the Trend 1/4" and 1/2" sets (35 years for the 1/2", and I have an untouched replacement set - it's cheaper than getting them sharpened) - I can't fault them for value. All my heavily used stuff is Wealden bought as needed, but the sets are a good start. Incidentally, the thickness of the cutters is exactly the same from the new to the old.

Latest posts

Back