Bedt underlay for laminate on natural floorboards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georget79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I've posted before about insulating or re doing over natural floorboards and have finally gone for 10mm laminate. Trying to figure out what underlay is best to keep the room warm.

The one I've ordered is pro gold Vapour 1.11 tog, but now I'm thinking it's maybe not high enough tog rating.

Someone else has told me I shouldnt even lay underlay on natural floorboards because any dips or ridges may cause the tongues to snap?

So any sound advuce about this would be much appreciated

I often go with what the seller recommends but with floor boards I personally don’t think it’s as critical as solid floors due to the potential of damp and or condensation. As for the tongues snapping off I think that’s rubbish as wouldn’t the same thing happen with carpet and underlay? I personally like those fibre mats as they add a little height and also insulate and reduce noise.. hardest job is making sure the floorboards are firmly fixed , not squeeing and any that are loose are refined without hitting any pipes or cables..

I often go with what the seller recommends but with floor boards I personally don’t think it’s as critical as solid floors due to the potential of damp and or condensation. As for the tongues snapping off I think that’s rubbish as wouldn’t the same thing happen with carpet and underlay? I personally like those fibre mats as they add a little height and also insulate and reduce noise.. hardest job is making sure the floorboards are firmly fixed , not squeeing and any that are loose are refined without hitting any pipes or cables..
Floorboards are solid, but I just want to make sure it insulates the room as much as possible. The underlay I ordered was reccomended by the seller, but it as only after I read its tog rating was 1.11 and I'm reading online the higher to rig rating, the better it insulates... So not sure if 1.11 is sufficient. Although I know nothing about tog ratings

Floorboards are solid, but I just want to make sure it insulates the room as much as possible. The underlay I ordered was reccomended by the seller, but it as only after I read its tog rating was 1.11 and I'm reading online the higher to rig rating, the better it insulates... So not sure if 1.11 is sufficient. Although I know nothing about tog ratings
I’ve never given it much thought , obviously it normally refers to clothing and bedding but tbh I didn’t know that flooring underlays had tog ratings . In all the years I’ve laid laminate floors I’ve never had a customer ask about tog ratings for underlays. Most just want a nice floor ..

Back