Bandsaw upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Spectric & all - If I had a mill kicking around in cash I'd consider that option - sure I could also get some free R&D feedback from all the good people on here šŸ˜„ .
At the moment I haven't committed to any future work or projects and I'm just taking some time off which I needed.
@Democritus - good luck with whatever you choose. In my (OK I'm biased) view the Laguna14BX was head and shoulders over others at that price point & had a superb motor that I was never able to stall even on deep oak cuts. I also only ever had great feedback at shows from people who were using them. There may be an option to get a deal direct from Charnwood if they have any left in stock?
Cheers to all, Nick
Hope you get back in the saddle soon, we need your experience in the industry!

Cheers

Peter

It would be remiss of me to not mention a mitre gauge is almost pointless on a bandsaw. There a fairly rough and ready machine with no possibility of a finished surface.
Ā£234 would buy a reasonable mitre saw though. A stock of high quality blades preferably hss would be a hugely more useful thing to spend on.

It would be remiss of me to not mention a mitre gauge is almost pointless on a bandsaw. There a fairly rough and ready machine with no possibility of a finished surface.
Ā£234 would buy a reasonable mitre saw though. A stock of high quality blades preferably hss would be a hugely more useful thing to spend on.
Its a fair point, I have the V27 on my bandsaw which I also use on my disc sander so I can get very good mitres sawn and sanded if needed if you don't have access to to a mitre or table saw.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I think I agree with Johnnyb that a highly accurate Mitre gauge is probably not needed on a bandsaw. As a woodturner I mostly use my bandsaw for cutting bowl blanks, and stuff for spindle work.
Iā€™m increasingly thinking that the Laguna bs will serve my need for an upgraded machine, perhaps with the addition of Incraā€™s V27 Mitre gauge.
D.

Hi @johnnyb - I agree & Laguna USA never even had a factory bandsaw mitre gauge option available for their range as they said exactly the same as you when I asked - 'no one in USA would even attempt to cut an accurate mitre on a bandsaw' were their words when I asked why it wasn't even available. I get that.
That said, I think it's a useful add on for quick approximate angle cuts & also useful for small cross cuts when it's used like a sled as long as you accept it's not as accurate as a mitre saw. Cheers

Latest posts

Back