Bandsaw upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m thinking of upgrading my bandsaw. I currently have an Electra-Beckum 315.
What are you issues with the current bandsaw and what are you looking to do that it cannot do ? Also how much money are you looking to spend as that will be a major factor in what you could get.

Thanks, guys. I need a floor standing bandsaw with a bigger throat, and more robust blade guides. I would also like a blade tensioning indicator. Record power have a number to choose from. Does anyone know the difference between the Sabre badged saws and the standard Record Power saws?
Does anyone have an opinion about the Axminster BS, or Charnwood? How much? I could probably spend about £1500.
D.

Bandsaws are often talked about in terms of wheel size , 12", 14", 16", 18". I think your 315 is a 12" model. Charnwood tops out at a 14" model. Record 300=12, 350=14, 400=16, 450=18". I upgraded to a 430mm/17" model a year or so back and find it a good sized machine for both small and large tasks in the workshop.

My old band saw, was a 14" model with a 750W motor was under powered, personally I'd not go for a bandsaw with a motor smaller than 1.5kW.

I do not use the blade tension indicator, I don't think they are particularly useful, I prefer the 'Carter' deflection tap test.

For that sort of money you may also want to consider a second hand machine, you could pick up a Hammer or a 5yr old larger Axminster. Although delivery/collection often becomes the issue.

Blade tension indicator IMO is a waste of time, but a blade tension release lever is a very good idea, especially if leaving the bandsaw for some time, so you can take the tension off the blade, I also loth the non bearing blade guides especially those that are side on with the rear of the blade, its not just bad practice its ridiculous and just a convenience for the manufacturer in production, look for correctly oriented bearing guides to give you an indication of the manufacturer's care and attention to detail.

I have a 19" (480mm) Axminster "White" floor standing bandsaw with a 2200w motor.
I've had it from new and although it's a good few years old now and nothing like Hammer/ Felder quality, it has cut everything I've run through it.
Its showing a few spots of rust through the paintwork now and the quality of the machined finish on the cast iron cutting table has always been rough as a badgers a r s e, but it was cheap to purchase new at the time, so I suppose I got what I paid for.

The blade tension indicator ( if you can even call it that....!) that came fitted on the machine, is/ was absolutely useless and I've never used it as any sort of indicator of blade tension.....

Had I had more money to spend at the time, I would have gone with the Hammer/Felder option.....

I have never heard of Hammer/Felder machines, but a search suggests they are big industrial machines. I’m unsure whether they are suitable for a small workshop. I came across a Laguna bandsaw advert. Are they any good? I’m beginning to think the Record Power BS 400 might meet my needs.
Incidentally, Record Power have a Sabre badged machine that is described as ‘single phase’. I know next to nothing about electricity, so can someone explain what it means, and why it is singled out as such in Record Power machines range.
D.

Laguna have a good reputation.
Nick the rep us in here.
Single phase is standard 240v Vs three phase 415 industrial voltage.

I'm guessing the bigger machines are offered in either voltage.

If you do decide on a Record Power 450 be aware it requires a 16a commando style socket and possibly a type c MCB on your consumer unit. So you might also want to budget a bit extra for an electrician to fit you a new circuit.

I do have a 450 and like it very much. Before you decide, do go and compare the BS 400 with the Sabre 450 at somewhere like Yandles. The blade guides, electric brake and fence arrangement felt worth the extra cost.

I have never heard of Hammer/Felder machines, but a search suggests they are big industrial machines. I’m unsure whether they are suitable for a small workshop.....

I would say that Felder is indeed aimed more at the professional/ trade sector of the market, but Hammer is more in the lighter trade/ serious hobby market.
I have a couple of Hammer machines and they are a significant step up in every way from Record or Axminster machines.......Certainly the Record & Axminster machines that I have owned from new.
The build quality is on a totally different level altogether!

I would also like a blade tensioning indicator
They seem to be no different to trying to measure windspeed by licking your finger and sticking it in the air ! The one on my BS400 is meaningless, seems to show more than the actual tension so look at getting a proper tool to measure it .

They seem to be no different to trying to measure windspeed by licking your finger and sticking it in the air ! The one on my BS400 is meaningless, seems to show more than the actual tension so look at getting a proper tool to measure it .
Spectric
Up to now, I have checked tension by the sound when the blade is flicked and jiggled. Bit hit and miss. What’s a ‘proper tool’?

I have the smallest Hammer bandsaw, the price was more than the equivalent Record but here in Italy Record are quite expensive anyway. I have no experience of Record bandsaws but I do have other Record machines. The quality of the smallest Hammer is excellent, it can cope with everything I have thrown at it including re-sawing. It is the only bandsaw they sell that is not made in Europe but I still feel it is much better made and finished than the Record machines I have.

I have never heard of Hammer/Felder machines, but a search suggests they are big industrial machines. I’m unsure whether they are suitable for a small workshop. I came across a Laguna bandsaw advert. Are they any good? I’m beginning to think the Record Power BS 400 might meet my needs.
Incidentally, Record Power have a Sabre badged machine that is described as ‘single phase’. I know next to nothing about electricity, so can someone explain what it means, and why it is singled out as such in Record Power machines range.
D.
I have the Laguna 14BX and have no complaints at all. I spent ages researching the different machines when I bought it and IMHO felt it had a better build quality than the Record Sabre.

Latest posts

Back