bandsaw help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

I maybe able to have a bigger workshop soon and i was wondering what i would do with more room????
I have never used a bandsaw and dont know the first thing about them but I can see the advantages of having one as it would help me not have to do so much chain saw work and would reduce the time i spend knocking large lumps into the round.

I belive in buying the best i can afford and over buying on capacity so that in the future if i want to do bigger stuff etc i'm not upgrading machines

i've found this one
but i would really appreciate some advice

hi george
tha link doesn't actually link to a specific bandsaw only to the record power site, which one were you reffering to.

it works when i click it steve??????

anyway it should link to this one
Startrite 401E INDUSTRIAL BANDSAW, 16" DEPTH OF CUT, 3HP

Have a look on Ebay as I purchased a 352 Startrite ex school for £240 and all it needed was a good clean and a new blade cuts like a dream.

Nope, don't work for me either !

But from the description in your post George it should be a pretty serious and capable machine. The 3hp motor is important as all to often the potential depth of cut on deep ripping is not useable due to the motor being underpowered, but 3hp is as big as you are likely to get without going to 3 phase supply I would think. Would need a dedicated 16 amp supply anyway and likely a C rated mcb if my experience of a different 3hp motor is typical.

As others have said though, picking up something half decent secondhand and at a fraction of the cost is not too difficult, and you might not need as much capacity as you think - don't underestimate the difficulties of manhandling bigger lumps onto and through the bandsaw. I still use a chainsaw for breaking down initially and getting to a manageable size.

You'll need an extractor also whichever machine you use, although you likely have one already.

Cheers, Paul :D

Startrites are lovely machines. I think you need to think carefully before dismissing used machines. Some bargains to be had on the size machine you're after. Also look at the Jet range and even Axminster's similar bandsaws. These both get very good reviews.

NeilO":b0rhrykj said:
edit: seems they all work now...how strange??

Yes same here and have cleared all caches to make sure I'm not looking at something local. :duno:

EDIT: they won't work in Firefox for me, only in I.E.

Sorry George have no experience of machine or know of one near to go sample, looks to have a good capacity for your type of blanks.

In the :mrgreen: category for me at that price as the next log received is always just a bit deeper than my modified machine capacity.

I know someone who has one of their smaller bandsaws and it is a very nice machine and he would recomend them to anyone.

THIS REVIEW might help, one thing I noticed on it was they mention the height of the table is only 860mm (35") which does seem a bit low so I dont know if they do a stand for it.

john

the record site looks like it uses a cookie so once you've visited the page the link will work. Stupid way of doing things if you ask me. I prefer to develop using tidy URLs recordpower.com/bandsaws/modelnumber etc etc.

Anyway rant over, looks like thats why the link doesnt work.

Cornucopia wrote
I maybe able to have a bigger workshop soon and i was wondering what i would do with more room????

Is this going to be at home George or will you be renting :?:
Bandsaw looks good and should cover all you need,but as PaulM says bigger logs are awkward to handle on a bandsaw.
The space will soon fill up no matter how big it is :shock:

Hi George,

When you're talking proper industrial machinery then second hand/reconditioned is fine if you get it from a decent company - take a look at: http://www.timber-team.com/used_machines/used_bandsaws.htm?cPath=2_107, for example they have a Wadkin for less than £1000:

bandsaw-thumb4.jpg

But it's 3 phase. You'll find most saws like this are unfortunatly.

If you want new and single phase then you could go for one like mine from Axminster - you saw how well that worked the other day, or its bigger brother:

Mine:
100137w_s.jpg

Bigger version:
700353_s.jpg

If you need any tips once you get it give me a shout.
HTH

Richard

I've been trawling through my woodworking mag's (so far without success) for the workshop refurb they did. They had a Startrite in there, which was on loan, and they promised to do a report on it. It was clearly going to feature in the new workshop and I'm waiting to read that report, as they obviously like the machine.

The ceiling height in my workshop is limiting - but have read a lot of reviews and discussions here, and seen a few machines at demos, I'm thinking about a Scheppach Bassato 4 ... the 5 or 6 looked like very nice bits of kit though too big, heavy and expensive for my setup ...

Latest posts

Back