bandsaw help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure yet paul- might be a new workshop? might be re-design of my existing one.
my wish list is already at 4.5k though :roll:

I think if you can afford it, go for it. :lol:
I have an Axminster SBW 4300 with a 2hp motor and it has lapped up everything i've thrown at it so far, so a 3hp should handle anything you could throw at it.
I think the most important points for a bandsaw is a good solid table. An accurate fence system. Good height under the guides. A powerful motor.
Good after sales service, ( good make) But most of all a high quality blade.Without that all the other points are negated.
Good luck on your final choice, if your've never had one before your'll wonder how you ever did without one.

John. B

Cornucopia wrote
not sure yet paul- might be a new workshop? might be re-design of my existing one.
my wish list is already at 4.5k though
I should think you will have enough room if you expand the existing space George,which will save a heap of money to spend on other goodies.
You could even put a shed part on the back or side like i have with mine,for storeage etc.

Hi George,

i have the Jet 18, had it for about 5 years , at the time of purchase it was between the jet and the basato5 from sheppach, i got a really good deal on the jet but in hindsight i think the sheppach would have been a better buy for 2 reasons, one is the blade on the jet is mounted coming on through the right hand side so has to be twisted to get it into line, see the slot in the table to see what i mean, the other thing is the dust extraction port is not in the best position to collect dust and continues to fail a cosh inspection at the workshop. Startrite are great machines but overpriced in my opinion.

hope this doesn't confuse you even more

Les Thorne

leswoody":l9g1sg9l said:
Startrite are great machines but overpriced in my opinion.
Agree about new Startrite prices, but there are so many excellent examples of their machines on the s/h market that you can get really good value that way. And they are so simple to work on that you can re-furb them easily if (ever!) needed. My 352 will be running sweetly years after I cease to do so :(

Richard Findley":gjm1ct5g said:
Hi George,

bandsaw-thumb4.jpg

Richard

Hi George,

I have the cast iron version of this, got it a few years ago, it owes me £400, if you want a recon project, it`s 3 phase or needs an inverter.
You could put tree trunks through it. :lol:

Hi George

I will second what Les has said. I as you know have a Axminster white 8" depth of cut and it is a waste of time really.

But previously in another life I purchased and worked with Sheppach machines and I have to say they are what you expect in german machines. Exceptionally built, quality results and do far more than they said on the box.

Pricey but not expensive when you start working with them. Just quality.

Get the biggest bandsaw you have space for. We have a huge Axminster one and it comes into its own and have a couple of other smaller ones. Also a pillar drill is very useful as well as a sanding disc. We made ours about 30 years ago from old washing machine motor. It is nice to have a wood burning stove for the winter and you can burn you shavings offcuts that you can't turn into widgets. Racking for drying is quite useful. You never have enough space no matter how big your workshop.

Soulfly":1vhoomrv said:
Get the biggest bandsaw you have space for. We have a huge Axminster one and it comes into its own and have a couple of other smaller ones. .

you must have one hell of a big workshop soulfly , thats 4 lathes and 3 bandsaws that you have (alledgedly :roll: ) and counting.

why the hell anyone would need more than two bandsaws is beyond my ken ( I get the idea of two - one set up for cutting blanks and the other with a coarser blade for ripping )

George take a look here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=33786

andy corleone is selling a record BS350, for £390 - I think thats about half list price.

Its not as big as the big axy but it ought to be big enough for most turning tasks - I'm sorely tempted myself (i'm heading over tommorow to buy his air filter) but i already have the little rexon i bought off blister last year and i dont have space for two

Latest posts

Back