Bandsaw - £1-1.8k range

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff4534

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have done my best to read all the old threads on this, but given the amount of money, I was hoping to get some specific guidance before pulling the trigger.

I have a double garage workshop which I have been slowly growing since lockdown, and I am now at the stage where I am replacing first cheap tools with more expensive ones when I have convinced myself I am going to use them. As such I am looking to replace a parkside bandsaw (which was/is fantastic for the money) with something significantly more serious.

The main problem with the parkside saw is the depth of cut is about 3 1/4 inches, and I would like to do resawing of both logs and thick boards. The parkside saw also doesn't create the cleanest of cuts, so I have to do a fair bit of tidying up afterwards.

From the vaious bandsaw threads on the site, the names that keep coming up in this price range are: Laguna at the top end, Record Power and Axminster. Charnwood doesn't appear to make bandsaws this large unless I am looking in the wrong place. Am I missing any key players?

Here is what I have so far:

BrandMakePrice inc Wheels & DeliveryCutting DepthCutting WidthTable SizeMax Blade WidthResaw barWarranty
Laguna14|12£1700330340400X54619Yes1 year
Record PowerSabre-300£1000254292400x48019Yes5 year
Record PowerSabre-350£1247285345400x54619Yes5 year
Record PowerSabre-450£1783320445400x65835Yes5 year
AxminsterAP2920B£1300300345440x54019No3 year

Am I missing any important key features in my table that would differentiate these saws?

I like the 5 year warranty of the Record Power saws. I think if I lived in America I would get a 2 year warranty on the Laguna. A 1 year warranty for something that costs that much doesn't feel great to me. Having said that ideally I don't want to ever have to call on the warranty as I assume returning something this large will be incredibly irritating, so build quality is a big selling point for me.

From more experienced woodworkers, how often does the difference between a 10 inch cut and a 12-13 inch depth cut come into play. I realise thats a how long is a piece of string question, but the Sabre-300 is looking like pretty good bang for my buck, I just don't want to be looking to upgrade again in 2 years time.

The Axminster one looks like a pretty good half way house in terms of depth of cut, warranty and price.

I know the guidance here is quite often to pick up something second hand and refurbish it, but I am not confident enough with tools to do that at the moment, especially for this amount of money.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
the laguna saw seems to be well regarded looking at youtube reviews, id go for the BX version if you can get it. after buying an axminster tablesaw im wary of their quality, mine is nothing but trouble and im selling it for a hammer.

The depth of cut physically possible and that achievable are likely somewhat different. On my old bandsaw the height under the guides was c. 300mm but it struggled over 200mm in hardwoods unless the blade was fresh out the box. I put this down to motor power, at 750w it was seriously under powered. I'd add motor power to your list. My current bandsaw (Axminster SBW4300) is a 1500w motor.

The other issue with resawing at a large depth is max blade width and being able to tension that blade, a 35mm blade would require a lot of force to put the required tension on it. I'd take the rp450 number with a pinch of salt but it likely indicates the machine is more capable of a higher force in the machines frame. I run a 3/4" M42 blade which feel is on the limit of what I can get sufficient tension into.

My current bandsaw is of this kind of size and it will cut a pretty thin veneer at these kinds of depths so I think it's pretty accurate. I still find that I need to put boards through my surface planer and thicknesser afterwards so realistically my max working board width is limited by these machines also. Getting a resaw off a bandsaw accurate enough for only a reasonable amount of hand finishing the surface is IMHO unlikely with any machine. I

I've built a number of pieces of furniture and my max width is 230mm limited by my surface planer. Many desks and smaller tops are c. 600mm wide maximum so will take 3 boards at 250mm or 2 at 300mm to make up. A large table could be 900-1100mm wide taking 4-5 at 250mm each or 3-4 at 300mm each. I don't see this making a huge difference in the design or aesthetic of the piece. I think you'd need to be into 500mm or more widths to feel a real difference.

FWIW, I bought a Record Sabre 350 approx 3 years ago and very happy with it, apart from the fact that dust collection could be better. However, I understand that this complaint is common to many bandsaws. The good thing about Record is the guarantee, which was one reason that I went for that one. The good thing about Axminster is that you can go and see one 'in the flesh' if you live near enough to one of their branches - where 'in the UK' are you?

Thanks for the comments all. I did wonder about motor power. I have added the Laguna 14|BX to my list and it looks like the primary difference is a beefier motor. My next task is checking how many amps I can draw to the garage without blowing something.

One question on power: On the Record Power website it talks about input power of 1500w and output power of 1100w. Which should I be using for comparison. The other sites seem to just quote one figure.

Thanks for the tip Fitzroy, I will have to go measure my planer/thicknesser as I expect at the moment, that would be my limiting factor, although there is scope for an upgrade there too one day.

I am afraid I am in the midlands, which appears to be equally far from all Axminster stores.

Last edited:
Don't take all the information as being 100% as some is a little stretched ! My BS400 is supposed to take a maximum of a 1 inch blade but it just would not tension it enough so 3/4 is for me maximum. I would say that a 2Kw motor input power is minimum and that a quick tension release makes changing blades much easier.

My BS400 runs fine on a 13 amp connection and never gives any issues unlike many P/T's that do require a 16 amp supply.

Thanks Spectric, the BS400 would be in my list, except it appears to be out of stock everywhere. My assumption is that is discontinued in favour of the Sabre line.

Have you looked at the Hammer N4400 ? I have one and find it faultless. It has a single phase 4 HP motor although you would have to install a 16 amp socket. It has bolt on extension tables as an extra.
Like you I wanted to convert garden trees into useful planks and bought the ' Little Ripper ' a jig for holding trunks from www.stockroomsupiplie.com in Canada. It will also hold a square blank to allow cutting of veneers. I run a 3/4" 3TPI blade from Tuffsaws and have converted loads of unusual trees into planks. Don't ask me the price in the UK but it's worth a look..

Thanks for the comments all. I did wonder about motor power. I have added the Laguna 14|BX to my list and it looks like the primary difference is a beefier motor. My next task is checking how many amps I can draw to the garage without blowing something.

One question on power: On the Record Power website it talks about input power of 1500w and output power of 1100w. Which should I be using for comparison. The other sites seem to just quote one figure.

Thanks for the tip Fitzroy, I will have to go measure my planer/thicknesser as I expect at the moment, that would be my limiting factor, although there is scope for an upgrade there too one day.

I am afraid I am in the midlands, which appears to be equally far from all Axminster stores.
I doubt you'll find output power on most machines, use input power and if only one power is specified it will be input power.

I did see the Hammer quoted in some of the threads I read through, but I couldn't find a price anywhere, more of a "ask us for a quote" and I figured if I have to ask the price, I can't afford it. Roughly speaking what is the ballpark price?

And thankyou Fitzroy.

I did see the Hammer quoted in some of the threads I read through, but I couldn't find a price anywhere, more of a "ask us for a quote" and I figured if I have to ask the price, I can't afford it. Roughly speaking what is the ballpark price?

And thankyou Fitzroy.
I paid 2K euros but I'm in Ireland. Hammer are the budget wing of Felder so not overpriced.

Fairly simple machines, I'd look second hand. Quick glance at ebay shows eg two Hammers in your price range and a Startrite 401s starting at 750 with no bids. All better machines.

P1033290x_65115.jpg

You don't say where you are in the UK ? it is a big place.
If you are considering used , I have a BIG Scheppach bandsaw that will be up for sale soon as part of my downsizing ,

Last edited:
+1 for the 14BX.

Bought mine last year and have been very impressed with the build quality and power. No issue with electricsin the garage and a standard 3 pin plug.

I do however wish laguna would sell their resaw king blades in the UK.

I recently bought the Sabre 350 from Biven Machinery for my hobby workshop to upgrade from an Axminster workshop model. The build quality seems excellent, the fence setup is robust and easily adjustable, I like the bearing adjustment mechanisms too. I purchased the wheel kit which makes moving the machine around a breeze. Biven were really good, so much so I purchased a Record Power planer thicknesser from them too.

+1for the 14BX. Charnwood sell these. As well as the beefed up motor it has a brake which is useful and a good safety feature. Build quality very good. Dust extraction better than most due to both an upper and lower extraction port. Runs off 13 amp. Do not buy the mitre gauge it is rubbish..buy an Incra 120 or similar. The wheel kit is just adequate but you might want to build your own platform with 4 swivel castors.
Paul

Back