Baking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought another Panasonic bread maker. They seem to last 3 to 4 years. Probably just about pays for itself and I know what's going into it. I use less salt than the recipes and no sugar - makes a perfectly good loaf.
Favourite recipe is 3 parts wholemeal and 1 part rolled oats.
No trad bakery near here and all supermarket stuff seems like dodgy processed food in comparison.
Can make dough in it, tip it out and then use it to fake a hand made loaf but I never bother.
Maybe the bread machines have done for the trad bakers?
I got a bit of a shock at the tip when I took in the old machine - a huge skip full of bread makers and other shiny electronic gadgets mostly computers and TVs, still looking brand new. Built in obsolescence.

Phil I could just do with some of that bread to dip in my lamb hotpot LOL

I love cooking!

hotpot1.jpg

We've had an all singing and dancing top of the range Panasonic bread maker for at least 10 years and the loaves that came out of it had got to the stage where they weren't nearly as good as they should have been when it was younger so I got out the machine yesterday and was about to test it but instead baked the bread by hand after resting/proving the dough. I popped it into the combi oven and baked it for 30 minutes and this beauty came out.
I just baked the bread on baking paper on a metal plate so the dough spread as it proved but it was perfectly cooked

The recipe is somewhat different to what I'd normally use in the bread maker but clearly the recipe works so I'm currently testing the machine out with the same mix over the regular four hour setting to determine if there is anything wrong with the machine or if one of the primary ingredients (flour or yeast) was not suitable and resulted in the earlier sub-standard results. If this test doesn't come out correctly then it might be a case of binning it as the costs to repair it would be prohibitive and would probably be cheaper to just replace it.

I've had a Russel Hobbs 25L combi oven for over three years and unless we're cooking a full dinner for family visitors, we rarely use the main oven the combi is so good.
All of my hotpots, pies, Yorkshire Puddings, cakes etc etc are all cooked in there...it only takes 5 minutes to get up to full working temperature as opposed to the main oven which takes at least 15 minute so that reduces energy consumption for starters.

breadi.jpg

I had a breadmaker - I forget the make - and found it best to do the same, take the dough out and put it on a sheaf or in a tin. When it went wrong I thought hold on I'd just as well get a stand mixer with a dough hook.

Back