Attention all wet shavers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester129

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you one of the millions using multi-blade razors? If so, are you tired of changing the blade so frequently? When you are next about to begin shaving, have a look and see if you can see through the blades. If you can't, instead of giving a cursory swill of the razor in the water, vigorously shake it back and forth in the water for several seconds. Now shake the water off and have another look. See more daylight? Thought so! Every time you rinse the foam off after a few strokes, vigorously shake it again for 4 to 5 seconds. You have just doubled the working life of that blade!
It means you have HALVED your shaving costs each year, just for the sake of a few seconds after each couple of strokes. You're welcome!

Are you one of the millions using multi-blade razors? If so, are you tired of changing the blade so frequently? When you are next about to begin shaving, have a look and see if you can see through the blades. If you can't, instead of giving a cursory swill of the razor in the water, vigorously shake it back and forth in the water for several seconds. Now shake the water off and have another look. See more daylight? Thought so! Every time you rinse the foam off after a few strokes, vigorously shake it again for 4 to 5 seconds. You have just doubled the working life of that blade!
It means you have HALVED your shaving costs each year, just for the sake of a few seconds after each couple of strokes. You're welcome!
...And did you work that out for yourself?

a few years ago I switched to double edge razor blades and started using shaving soap, just one soap can last years, mostly because I got sick of gillette's price rises, will never switch back, it's miles cheaper a fraction of the cost when you work it out, you can buy the blades in bulk and they are also excellent little scrapers as well on hardwood.

I stopped using disposable razors years ago as it was getting too expensive. I switched back to the old safety razor and soap .However present day stainless blades do not stay a sharp for long. so, for convenience sake -and for the first time ever, I. got an electric razor.
So far, so good And it is a lot more convenient - equivalent to not buying shoes with laces anymore. :giggle:

I had to read this three times.
Did you deliberately set out to write a clickbait piece on social media ?

Please don't - moderators develop a reflex to delete stuff that reads like this on sight !

I recently started wet shaving again recently and 6 weeks in I am still using the same blade.
I read an article in GQ magazine years ago that said just make sure you give the blade a good rinse and shake at the end to get rid of the water and all will be well for considerably longer than you think.
I was also given a shaving soap & brush and found out lasted months in comparison to a can of shaving foam.

a few years ago I switched to double edge razor blades and started using shaving soap, just one soap can last years, mostly because I got sick of gillette's price rises, will never switch back, it's miles cheaper a fraction of the cost when you work it out, you can buy the blades in bulk and they are also excellent little scrapers as well on hardwood.
since switching to shaving soap (bar) and badger brush 10+ years ago I haven't had razor rash once.

Shampoo bars are great too. Last ages, works well and is far better environmentally as a huge amount of weight is removed when you aren't shipping the water part and no plastics.

One of the main reasons I can see the manufacturers don't want you to use bar soaps is it is hard to ensure the branding is maintained under use. Easier to remember to buy gillette if your shaving can is right there.

Are you one of the millions using multi-blade razors? If so, are you tired of changing the blade so frequently? When you are next about to begin shaving, have a look and see if you can see through the blades.
With all cutting tools you have to clear the waste otherwise they stop cutting properly, it is just engineering knowledge and whether you are using a razor, a drill or a bandsaw you need to ensure nothing clogs up so how long did it take for you to realise this ?

Yes and they still do a great job. Now if only I could remove and re-sharpen them on my grind-stone :ROFLMAO:

I agree with the comment this looks like at 1st glance click-bait and then once translated into plain English it's more a case of no sh*t Sherlock - the same principal as @Spectric notes is precisely the same be it a twist drill, forstner bit or even a plane throat.
@Silken you can with some strop them on a leather and bring fresh life to the blade, however some with the multi-blade heads are difficult to strop in practice.
One thing in common though is soap or soap-free emulsifiers are way better shaving agents than most of the commercial shaving can foams, for me the latter dry my skin and bring me out in a rash after a couple of days use, although YMMV applies I guess....

I shave my face and head in the shower and that keeps my blades clear of gunk between the blades. I also just use the same bar of soap I wash the rest of me with. If it doesn't give me a rash in the sensitive areas it won't on my face unless the blade is dull and ripping rather than cutting. Each to their own.

Pete

The late Gary North published a piece on greatly extending the life of a twin blade razor by stropping it on
a piece of blue denim.

I don't recall, and I'm to lazy to look it up, how long the blade lasted him, but I do recall he said if everyone who used Gillette's twin blade razor followed his tip Gillette would shortly be out of business.

I never tried it as electric is how I roll.

Not such a close shave but less faf.

Never had any luck with multi blade plastic razors. I think that really the first blade is doing all the work the following blades pretty much block up with hairs and irritate the skin for no reason.
As soon as I tried a double edged safety razor it was a revalation, cuts clean, does not clog up costs pennies and is completely recyclable.

Similar experience with using a shaving brush and proper shaving cream instead of stuff in a can, it is the way the brush spreads the foam under and around all the hairs, a far superior method.
Trouble is they perfected this method in the early 1900`s and there is not enough money in it, hence all the 2/3/4/5 blade razors. I would shave with a cuthroat razor for the very best possible shave but would likely slice myself.

Just completed seven weeks @ five days/week of Radio Therapy on my throat and don't have to shave one half of my face anymore, 50% saving, I don't recommend that though. 🤔

As well as properly rinsing them through, I hone my blades by gently stroking backwards on a leather strop to extend their lives. 👍🏻

I have whiskers like wire. A disposable multi blade razor cuts for half my face and scrapes for the second half, no matter how much rinsing I do. I tried a good quality straight razor for a while but it was the same problem. It started pulling and tugging part way through a shave. I consequently use electric razors but have to change the foils more often than the manufacturers suggest. I use Braun which hold up well and give a good shave, Phillips rotary ones are more comfortable but struggle and clog if it’s two day stubble. I have to shave every day or it rapidly gets out of control. I only wish it grew as strongly on the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back