alko bench saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

Reaction score
hello i have an al-ko with a 12" blade and 2.5 hp motor at 3000rpm, induction i think its very quite and smooth, there is p;enty of room to fit a larger blade ,what i need is to fit a 14" blade so as i can cut 4" timber as the 12" blade with max raise will only cut around 3.25" .
will there be enough power to run a 14" and if so how tpi to reduce load or can i go as far as 16".

thanks ian

"

Seems like a small motor for cutting 4 inch stock. Strange though my table saw takes a 12 inch blade and it rises just enough to cut 4 inch stock. It is only designed for 10 inch blades though. Most saws i've been looking at that are designed for 12 inch have been 5 horse power motors.

So i don't think your saw will do the job with bigger blades. I'm no expert though and I did put a bigger blade in mine to see if i could get away with it and it did work. so who knows

For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, this proposal sounds a bit scary :shock: If the saw was designed to run with a 12" blade then it runs with a 12" blade. I personally wouldn't mess around with it and try and put on a bigger blade. If you need to have a bigger doc, the safe answer is to buy the appropriate sized table saw - Rob

woodbloke":3u0qfoj1 said:
For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, this proposal sounds a bit scary :shock: If the saw was designed to run with a 12" blade then it runs with a 12" blade. I personally wouldn't mess around with it and try and put on a bigger blade. If you need to have a bigger doc, the safe answer is to buy the appropriate sized table saw - Rob

Me too!

Bear in mind at the teeth tips the speed (MPH) will be significantly faster with the larger diameter blade compared with the smaller & so may well be outside its design spec.

thanks for reply
all that is true, it is simply that the bench has a large cut out in the table and the limited manual implys a blade up to 16" can be accommodated,plus there are alternate motor mountings ,the motor is direct drive rather than via a pulley and belt and the raise feature is undo knob and drag up to required heigth , with the 12" blade it still has upwards travel ( the motor hits the underside of table) also 2.5 hp seems to suggest plenty of power for a range of blade diameters.
i am not try to argue i know better , i don't i was hoping someone would have a similar model .it is very solid. just basic features rise and fall only
any thoughts welcome or experiences

thanks ian

just to add i feel that a larger motor has been fitted to a smaller blade i;e the current 12" that would explain as to why i cannot get near to 100mm cut , as the larger motor tops out on the underside of the bed, as i said i don't know for certain, this is not industrial grade stuff so 5hp seems massive when you see 10" with less than 2hp , it will be going over to france with me and used for ripping so if i bite the bullet and fit the 14" any suggestions for blade type, with a 14" i would cut 104mm ?.

thanks again ian

That would explain why you cannot get a 4in. cut with a 12in. diameter blade - most modern 12in. tables saws can cut 4in. thick stuff no problem.

As for blade selection, I'll point you in the direction of Atkinson Walker blades at Workshop Heaven. I've got one on order, albeit for a different purpose but, there are a few other members of this forum who've bought from them and they seem to be impressed. :)

thanks OPJ

to be honest i bought in hast i could live without tilt function and the blade was raised when i looked at it, just when home it can't make a 100mm , some replys have me worried now though , although i see most blades are rated 4800upward to 7000rpm ,also looked on ebay and a 10" bosch pro gts has an 1800w motor ,so i am somewhat concerned.

thanks ian

Back