After 40 years - its' died

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argonaut

Established Member
Reaction score
After more than 40 years use my 12" Moore & Wright combination square has died - center screw which hooks into rule has snapped.
It was originally formed when I worked in Engineering, then decades of house building ... been reliable and accurate.
What was good is that the body was machined cast iron ... not some cheap alloy - built to last.

Does anybody care to recommend a good square ... while I don't want some piece of pressed alloy junk, like Magusson or SilverLie.
Realistically I won't be around another 40 years so has to be reasonably priced .. (Starrett £140+ is out of the question)

So far RS Pro 300mm
or Axminster 400mm (disadvantage is Metric only)

I had the opposite problem, couldn`t find a nice metric only one. Will likely end up with a Starrett.
I did find a good value and quality brand called PEC tools, an American company who apparently make the Brown and Sharpe and some Mitutoyo squares, but I couldn`t find any metric only ones and they do not appear to be well stocked in Europe.

I know Starrett sell the screw as a spare part which may fit yours.

uk distributor for PEC is linear tools, POA in the catalogue https://online.flippingbook.com/view/605492/152/

Last edited:
I was gifted a Moore and Wright set from the estate of a well known machinery maker. Anyway my point is to find a lost centre finder as they have the same screw. Equally an angle wotsit. Same screw. I have a mitutoyo one you can have if it fits. I use the centre finder as an angle square more often than you'd think.

I have welded and filed the broken screw on my Starrett combination square. No problem

I filed the same screw for my protractor from an UNF bolt. The protractor is of unknown make. Probably the maker's name was stamped on the ruler part which has then been replaced with a Mitutoyo ruler. Anyway it was good enough quality to be worth the effort of making a replacement screw.

After more than 40 years use my 12" Moore & Wright combination square has died - center screw which hooks into rule has snapped.
It was originally formed when I worked in Engineering, then decades of house building ... been reliable and accurate.
What was good is that the body was machined cast iron ... not some cheap alloy - built to last.

Does anybody care to recommend a good square ... while I don't want some piece of pressed alloy junk, like Magusson or SilverLie.
Realistically I won't be around another 40 years so has to be reasonably priced .. (Starrett £140+ is out of the question)

So far RS Pro 300mm
or Axminster 400mm (disadvantage is Metric only)
Why not just make a new screw ? It shouldn't be particularly difficult -- I just made a replacement spindle lock for a 0" - 0.5" M & W micrometer. Even if you cannot match the thread just make a new nut as well but the thread will almost certainly be a standard USA thread.

Back