A heavy load (for a shed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Puttick

Reaction score
Very interested in getting a planer-thicknesser into my workshop (née shed) which already is home to a lot of tools, a compound mitre saw, bench sander, bench pillar and most recently a floor standing bandsaw. The weight of the latter, particularly as it is wheeled, gave me pause before installation, but I went with a long sheet of 18mm hardwood ply to spread the load over the t&g floor and joists.

The planer-thicknesser on the short list is nearly double the weight of the bandsaw, more than double once you add in the required extractor - at which point I start to worry about the entire floor construction. So...

Is the shed going to collapse under the weight? The shed is approx 4.9m x 3m, and the floor looks to have been prefabbed in 3 sections over the 4.7m length with joists of 45x70 at 380 centres attached (I assume) to a timber base of 100x50 joists at 530 centres. Those joists are supported in their centres (so approx 1.4m unsupported spans. It seems sturdy enough, but then there's quite a load building up in area (the bandsaw and planer-thicknesser/extractor will all be in one section, though the bench with drill and sander etc. runs along the opposite wall.

I have enough access to allow adding additional supports to the base around the heavy load areas (using Castlewood's neat deck supports - slide them into place and then adjust the height) and will add more (screwed down to joists) 18mm ply for the planer-thicknesser and extractor to sit on. Should that do it or do I need to do something more?

I think you'll find the joists will be fine but any point loads might too much for 18mm osb or pine? A Sher if 18mm hardwood plywood might help spread the load.

What is the machine weight? PTs vary from 250 -> 1000+kg
Axminster AW2260S lists at 170kg, the extractor I've specced to support it is 48kg when installed. I'm limited to 13A, so there's not a lot to shortlist from. The bandsaw is a bit over 100kg, I guess a bit more with the extras bolted on.

I think you'll find the joists will be fine but any point loads might too much for 18mm osb or pine? A Sher if 18mm hardwood plywood might help spread the load.
Yeah the plan is to screw 18mm hardwood ply over the existing floor to deal with point loads and add some rigidity.

C16 will do 1.46m at 600mm centres and 1.82m at 450mm centres in a floor joist situation.

Like has been said 170kg is just two people stood close together and I would expect it to be fine, especially with that plywood you are going to add.

My civil engineering skills are rusty, but I seemed to recall there's a difference between a mobile load and one that's more or less permanently located.

Latest posts

Back