7th CARLTON SCROOP Vintage Handtool Extravaganza 12 Oct 2024

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
https://www.oldhandtools.co.uk/blog/7th-hand-tool-extravaganza

Crikey Charlie, is it that time of year again?

Yes, "The Scroop" is upon us shortly with a delightful mix of looking at, talking about or buying tools.
The social side of this event shouldn't be underestimated either as its a wonderful place to catch up with old friends and make new acquaintances .
I'm hoping to once again be in attendance with a table display.
So, DON'T book your tickets, it's FREE
DON'T pay for your parking in advance, it's FREE
Light refreshment available but for those with a healthy appetite a pack up is recommended for when the event is over as eating often interrupts the conversation....
Cheers, Andy

extravaganza-oct-2024.jpg

Even further away for me, which is probably a good thing, as I can't be tempted. :giggle:
However, when I was teenager, it would only have been a bike ride away.
It always brings a smile to my face , hearing these quaint, old. Lincolnshire village names mentioned. It brings to mind the likes of - Kirkby la Thorpe and Ashby Puerorum.:unsure:

Do it , Make it a day out , Lots of very interesting hand tools and knowledgable people who
Are willing to speak with you, Take some sandwiches with you as last time I went it was cake only
Not good if you are diabetic .
Thanks for the recommendation - I've put it in my diary. Hopefully I'll be able to make it.

Also it is not just a tool selling gathering, Lots of tools are not for sale and are shown by their owners with pride, some very rare and " If " they were for sale very expensive . I am nearly talking myself into this.
Where else would I have had the chance to handle a Stanley Nr 1 😍😂

Thank you @Blister for putting the case for going. I had a great few hours there today. Great things to see. Some tools I'd only seen before in photos, and some I'd not seen before. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the historical exhibits. But by far the best part of my time was chatting to fellow enthusiasts. And I got away with only buying a couple of chisels and a veneer hammer.

Hopefully someone took some photos so those of us in far off lands can see some eye candy
Unfortunately I didn’t get to stay as long as I hoped so only took a few photos of Andy’s offerings, this was his Stanley dowel maker

IMG_20241012_111409841.jpeg

Complete with different size cutters

IMG_20241012_111419084.jpeg

A few adjustable spanner’s with a book on the subject

IMG_20241012_112608949.jpeg

& finally the smallest hand brace I’ve ever seen.

IMG_20241012_113649414.jpeg

That’s it I’m afraid but there’s always next spring 🫰

I found the personalisation of the "Mary Rose" planes interesting. Fascinating to see how people decorated and customised their tools when they built them themselves. I find it interesting how plane designs change from individualised to standardised through the 18th century as plane manufacturing became a dedicated industry.

IMG_20241012_103526288.jpg

The use of the small planes (on top of the large plane centre top) to make darts was interesting.

The other end of the table had an interesting collection of Scandinavian tools. The large boring augers were impressive with their spoon bits. Also the number and variety of what looked like kerfing planes.

IMG_20241012_103531365.jpg

There was a nice set of three Windsor type chairs.

IMG_20241012_112829222.jpg

The details being particularly nice - I loved the way knots had been featured in the central chair.

IMG_20241012_112954991.jpg

There was an interesting set of gouges with an extension of the handle along the bottom of the blade. I was told this acted as a stop and that these were used in cutting the joints in the central cross beams of sash windows. I've not seen something like that before.

IMG_20241012_120728570.jpg

Back