12mm tapered plug cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a place that sells them ? My plug cutters got a bit old and blunt and no longer makes nice clean pellets- it burns more than it cuts :cry: :lol:
I've tried Axminster (which use to sell a couple 12mm tapered cutters, back in the day) and don't really know where else to try. I've got a couple decent lip and spur bits do don't really want to change back to imperial.
Thanks
Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Don't Veritas make tapered plug cutters? If so look at Brimarc or Axminster sites.

Nick Gibbs":3952w3yl said:
Don't Veritas make tapered plug cutters? If so look at Brimarc or Axminster sites.
Not in 12mm though it seems :?
I had a go with a file and it seems much better ta ;) it use to be good to use it on site in a normal drill- I haven't got the prongs filed quite level so its pillar drill only untill I even em up :)

Im guessing its not tapered ? Spoke to lady from workshop heaven and she said they only sell straight one :(

12.7 won't fit in a 12 mm hole :lol:
I've got two perfectly usable 12mm lip and spur bits. - a normal 6 inch one for normal easy to access drilling then a shorter 3 inch one for tighter spaces. Makes sense to replace the plug cutter not the drill bits ;)

ColeyS1":1bc6xlj1 said:
12.7 won't fit in a 12 mm hole :lol

:shock:

I thought the point was they're tapered. I find if the largest diameter is the same as the hole, the fit isn't tight enough (in softwood, anyway).

Don't you hammer them in (with a smear of glue) then pare them off flush?

What am I missing here?

E.

The first 3mm is the size stated then tapers bigger by 3 degrees. So if you accidentally wiggle the drill bit when going in the 3degree taper should fill the hole.
In theory if I had a 12mm pellet (which i don't :lol: )and only had a half inch bit, when its hammered home it might fill the 0.7mm difference.
Coley

Eric The Viking":qmioelo7 said:
I'm farily certain mine came from Axminster, but it's 10mm rather than 12. I improved its performance with a diamond needle file, as it was a bit rough initially - wasn't an expensive one at all (TiN coated, whatever that's for).

Titanium nitride (TiN) is a very hard ceramic coating and is used to extend the life of cutting edges of cutting tools typically drills taps and milling cutters. It can increase the life of a cutting edge by up to three times that of an uncoated tool.

Regards ----- Arnold

Back