Surface Planer / Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a surface planer. I was wondering if you could help out. Looking for a 12" machine with nice long tables, heavy cast iron, etc.

How would you rate any of these machines? - Wadkin, Wilson (Brothers), Robinson, Sagar, Danckaert..
Is there any model in particular within these brands better than others?

Or is there a brand I am completely overlooking? Not particularly interested in modern pieces.

Thanks in advance.

One brand you ought to consider is Sedgwick.The MB in particular is a very good machine.

I would add Dominion and Cooksley to the list. Multico is also worth a look at. I think that all are excellent makes (I've no personal knowledge of Danckaert).

I would seriously consider SCM or a Sedgwick and not discount a P/T as they often seem to be the same price second hand as a planer. I have a Sedgwick 16" wide machine, the tables don't move with time and remain in perfect alignment. It's not IMO as heavily built as for instances a Wadkin UOS or a Dominion, but, apart from a tank hitting it I can't see anything that will wear out, flex or be affected by heavy punishment.

Recently I bought a Whitehead Junior Planer /jointer, made in 1954
only 6 inches wide; not sure if they do larger
It is a quality machine and weighs about 170 pounds

They were made in Halifax Yorkshire

xXDgXzxl.jpg

Hi Guys,

Dominion and Cooksley are two I definitely left out! Thanks for reminding me.

The Whitehead is a nice looking machine, but I want to have a little more capacity. I will investigate if they produced larger machines.

If I can, I want to try avoid the planer thicknesser combinations. A friend of mine, who is renowned as a master furniture maker, told me to avoid at all costs, especially second hand ones, as (being a somewhat noob to them) there are a lot of alignments to keep right.

ScottandSargeant, I was always under the impression that the BFT was a lot lighter machine compared to Wadkin's previous machines. Something I would definitely be interested in would be a 12" RZ would you have one of those for sale or be able to source one??

Thanks all!

Here's an interesting thing.

When I go into a professional workshop it's pretty much guaranteed that the planer knives will be reasonably sharp and properly set. Professional workshops normally work to a fixed knife replacement schedule, the craftsmen are experienced at setting knives up (or they use disposable knives), and they're familiar enough with the machine that they know instantly if it's running below par.

On the other hand, if I go into a hobbyist's workshop it's pretty much guaranteed that the planer knives will be long past their replacement date and the machine set up might well be a bit hit and miss.

I think hobbyists fall into that awkward situation where they're not using the machine often enough to get slick at replacing the knives. Furthermore, because they're not using the machine every day, they never really notice when they're having to push dangerously hard to get the workpiece moving, or they think it's normal for thinner workpieces to flutter like crazy as the blunt knives are tossing it up in the air! Consequently they just keep putting off knife changes.

So the paradox is that for light users the benefit of disposable knives is, in some ways, more significant that it is for heavy users!

I don't know if the OP is a time served man setting up a joinery shop, or a weekend warrior sorting his shed out. But if you're in the market for these higher end machines, then the cutter block/knife changing arrangement is worth thinking about.

Something else I'd toss in the mix. I'm reasonably happy with my Felder machine. But if I was replacing it I'd absolutely be looking for a spiral knife block. The more I see them in operation the more I realise what a significant innovation they are.

Good luck!

That's a very good point, Custard. Also worth the OP considering retro-fitting something like the Barke turnblades which make replacement very easy (if available for his machine).

Cordy":x8ciir21 said:
Recently I bought a Whitehead Junior Planer /jointer, made in 1954
only 6 inches wide; not sure if they do larger
It is a quality machine and weighs about 170 pounds

They were made in Halifax Yorkshire.

Hi. I have just bought one of these machines.

Could you have a look under the fence on your machine and tell me if it’s hinged the same as mine? Mine has a couple of brass hinges that look as though they don’t belong but maybe they were all like that?

I don’t suppose you have a handbook or exploded diagram for your machine...I can’t find any info on google. Thank you, Steve.

Yes it has the hinges; goes to about 45 degrees, it's for doing special angled cuts - someone else may explain, I don't know
No handbook

THIS is how I sharpen the blades
My gadget was from Axminster - about £40; can be got much cheaper from USA
LOOK
Great machine btw

Thanks for your reply.

I’m changing the blades as they’re blunt and are are pretty cheap to replace for a 6” jointer. I regularly use a 12” Whitehead Junior Planer / thicknesser which is class and equal to the quality of Wadkin in my opinion. Whilst I’m happy with my little machine so far, I was disappointed when I went to collect it and found it has aluminium beds/ fence...I was expecting cast iron...the fence is badly scored too. Mine is a 1948 machine.

Shamilt1":1sd6jrsy said:
I regularly use a 12” Whitehead Junior Planer / thicknesser which is class and equal to the quality of Wadkin

I don't think they used castings that were to the same quality as the Wadkin gear, I've seen at least 3 Whitehead 12"x4" PTs with cracks in the beds, always in the same spots which are about 4" in front and behind the cutter head. Of course, this sort of damage is usually due to heavy-handed use and shouldn't happen so long as it's treated right. It's just a common weak-spot that I've noticed on the machines I've seen for sale.

Interesting. Makes you wonder what these guys are doing to the machine to cause such damage!
My observation about the quality being comparable is just through my own use and nothing else. I use a mixture of Wadkin and Whitehead Junior gear and the quality seems comparable to me. None of the machines, either Wadkin or Whitehead have missed a beat over the 30 years I've been using it.

The 3 ft long bed on my Planer is magnetic; fence is not

It was completely overhauled by previous owner and new 240 volt motor fitted, new belts too
xXDgXzxl.jpg

Interesting that the bed on your Planer isn’t aluminium. I wonder if it was an optional extra to get a cast bed, or maybe they switched to cast a year or so after mine was made. I guess I may never know..

Shamilt1":32wl0tpt said:
Interesting that the bed on your Planer isn’t aluminium. I wonder if it was an optional extra to get a cast bed, or maybe they switched to cast a year or so after mine was made. I guess I may never know..
More likely to have switched from cast iron to cast aluminium, than from cast aluminium to cast iron...

I have no personal knowledge or experience of the Whitehead machines.

As for Wadkins, before the RZ there was the RD (which, like the RZ, also came in 12" & 16" widths), a very good machine that was in production from the late 1920s to 1954.

Cheers, Vann.

The 3 ft long bed on my Planer is magnetic; fence is not

Yes, just popped out to garage and checked
My above comment is correct :)

edit; my machine is circa 1954

Vann":tuz2oj0c said:
More likely to have switched from cast iron to cast aluminium, than from cast aluminium to cast iron...

I have no personal knowledge or experience of the Whitehead machines.

As for Wadkins, before the RZ there was the RD (which, like the RZ, also came in 12" & 16" widths), a very good machine that was in production from the late 1920s to 1954.

Cheers, Vann.
Why was this Vann? I would’ve thought makers would try and improve their machinery as time goes on and this is a downgrade.

Shamilt1":wzahjl6y said:
Why was this Vann? I would’ve thought makers would try and improve their machinery as time goes on and this is a downgrade.

There's a reason they've been saying "They don't make 'em like they used to..." since the early 1900s! :lol:

Shamilt1":1i4l25z0 said:
Usually as a result of cost cutting. Possibly also as cast iron might be seen as old fashion.

Even Wadkin changing many fittings on their products to aluminium from 1949-50 - things such as handwheels, blade guards (but fortunately not the really important things like tables and fences). Apparently there was a significant surplus of aluminium after WW2.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back