Xcalibur saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeChuck

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have a point of view on the TC10RAA saw from Xcalibur? It's a "contractor" saw.

I have been pretty gung-ho on the Deft T30 from Lyndhurst but I'm also researching the possibility of getting a good saw that would be of a more manageable size and power. I'm partial to cabinet-style or at least contractor-style saws.

The Xcalibur seems simple yet interesting, but the points that bug me are that it seems a bit high in price (so the savings compared to the T30 are really not that interesting, especially when things like shipping cost to France are mostly the same) and the fact that it's got a splitter and not a riving knife.

Thanks,
David

Have you considered this

600822_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 655467.htm

Thanks, I checked those out but I really want something "bigger" and mostly all cast iron without sliding table...Also looking for at least 1.5hp. Looking for the saw that will last me longer than the time it takes to pay it off :)

In which case IMO the xCalibur is your only option if you want a contractor style saw

Thanks :) Anyone with some experience with that particular one?

I've searched through the forums but I've seen references mostly to the bigger one and seen several threads where it's hard to make out exactly which saw we are talking about, with different guards, different fences etc...

Ideally I want the Deft, but this will not go into a dedicated workshop but a dedicated room on the ground floor of my house. I'm concerned about the power needed to run a 3hp saw (and a dust collector) and still wondering whether I should go for the T30 and be truly happy for years to come (including when I do move it to a dedicated workshop some day) or the more manageable Xcalibur (and perhaps be just as happy, I don't know).

I guess I just wish the cost difference would make it a no-brainer but it doesn't. Also, one of the only advantages for me on a european saw is the riving knife so it feels a bit silly to be here and buying a saw with a splitter...

I have the Xcalibur 805. Not sure how it compares to the model you've mentioned but happy to answer any questions.

On the whole I've been very please with the saw. somewhat helped by getting it for less than £400 at the time :D . I'm not sure what else I could have bought at the time if I were paying full list.

The fence supplied with mine is usable but could be improved.

Hi Matt, is that 805 the equivalent to their current "contractor" type model? I've seen references here to 805, 804 etc... but that doesn't correspond to anything they are selling now.

LeChuck":1yh3qaxf said:
Hi Matt, is that 805 the equivalent to their current "contractor" type model? I've seen references here to 805, 804 etc... but that doesn't correspond to anything they are selling now.

I would say it's more or less yesterday's equivalent to this one:
TC10RASS.JPG

The fence looks better on the latest model (more like what I think was their 804), however, mine has a metal blade guard and this one looks plastic. Better visibility but plastic quality could determine longevity.

It's just hard to find out anything about that saw really. The owner doesn't seem very responsive via email and information is hard to get. Photos are lacking and the descriptions don't seem accurate. I see mentions of a metal guard but it is plastic on the photo, and other discrepancies.

You have already answered your own question, you just have not listened to yourself. You want the Deft. Buy that and have no regrets. If it helps, I'd buy the Deft too. No comparison.

Yes, I want the Deft and it is the best deal by far. I was just trying to find a solution that would be a bit lighter and a bit less power hungry. Having to call in an electrician would not fit into my budget. That said, the Deft is a saw that will probably match or exceed my needs or wants forever.

Back