Workzone HBS20 Bandsaw blade and tyre won’t stay on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all

The blade on my little Workzone bandsaw has started to come off and won’t stay on. I’ve set it up according to the instructions of Alex Snodgrass but it comes off within about 20 seconds of starting up without any cutting taking place. I’ve been careful to set the tension and the guides and bearings, as well as ensuring the gullet sits at the crown of the wheel. It tracks fine when turning the wheels freehand but comes off quite soon after starting up the motor.

The bottom tyre is coming off with the blade at the bottom wheel so I’m not sure whether it’s the tyre unseating that takes the blade off the wheel, or if it’s the blade coming off that unseats the tyre.

It’s still the original blade so I’ve ordered a new one from Axminster but it hasn’t arrived yet. I did wonder whether I should apply some contact adhesive to the bottom tyre but there seems to be a difference of opinion about whether this is the right approach?

Any advice gratefully received.

Is the rubber tyre tight on the metal wheel? if not It should be replace rubber.

There should be no problem applying some adhesive. but a tight new tyre should not need any.

Is there any vibration to the bottom wheel when the motor is running?

Is the rubber tyre tight on the metal wheel? if not It should be replace rubber.

There should be no problem applying some adhesive. but a tight new tyre should not need any.

Is there any vibration to the bottom wheel when the motor is running?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I would say the tyre is fairly tight to the wheel. It’s difficult to say about vibration on the wheel however because the door has to be closed, allow the micro switches inside to be activated.

Put some tape or a clip over the door switch so you can start it then stand back keep your fingers out turn it on and look to see if the wheel is running true.

Given the fun involved in fitting new tyres, having to stretch them over the wheels, I would say that if the tyre can just slide off then you need new ones.
You don’t think it’s worth trying some adhesive?

The saw has had a very quiet life so I’m not sure why the tyres are suddenly playing up! It is an Aldi saw I suppose…

I think the material they use for the tyres on these little saws is not up to much. Good tyres are actually surprisingly expensive, so would seriously eat into the margin on a small relatively cheap machine. Once they start misbehaving I would change them. The fact that the tyre can just come off the wheel suggests to me that the material has degraded over time, rather than with use, and has lost its elasticity. Next thing it will probably start to break up. Glueing it on might work as a temporary fix, but much better to replace them both. If one has started to go then you can be sure the other won't be far behind.

To be fair it does get some pretty good reviews.
I have just converted a Clark CBS 190 for use in cutting thin sheet metal. Similar sized machine. Mine wasn't that old and had clearly not had much use but the tyres had completely dried out and disintegrated.

Is there any wobble in the bearings - it looks to be direct drive.
Do you shaken the blade off when not using the saw?

In fact is there any wobble on the top wheel?

I agree with what Fergie307 said - change the tyres
However, what have you got to lose by trying some adhesive first? Just a bit of your time if you've already got some glue.
I would also inspect the bottom wheel for any cracks - extremely unlikely but why not make sure before splashing cash on glue or belts.
Duncan
Is there any wobble in the bearings - it looks to be direct drive.
Do you shaken the blade off when not using the saw?

In fact is there any wobble on the top wheel?

You don’t think it’s worth trying some adhesive?

The saw has had a very quiet life so I’m not sure why the tyres are suddenly playing up! It is an Aldi saw I suppose…
No amount of sticky stuff would sort that you need to order some new rubbers in mate, looks like there is no wheel wobble so you should be able to sort it out.

I agree with what Fergie307 said - change the tyres
However, what have you got to lose by trying some adhesive first? Just a bit of your time if you've already got some glue.
I would also inspect the bottom wheel for any cracks - extremely unlikely but why not make sure before splashing cash on glue or belts.
Duncan
To put glue under that would create lumps the rubber has gone too soft.

I had a similar problem on my 10" Axminster bandsaw.

Simply used contact adhesive to glue the rubber to the wheel. Been fine for over a year of relatively light use.

Update to say that I decided to glue on the lower tyre using what I had around which was a spray carpet adhesive! I sprayed small amounts onto a board and then applied this at points to the underside of the tyre all the way around the wheel.

This seemed to keep the tyre on ok and my new blade (3/8 4tpi) arrived yesterday. I attached it earlier and after a small tune up, the saw seems to be cutting ok.

I hope it remains this way!

Thanks for your advice.

Back