Workshop Floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks bosshogg.
We are only putting the concrete in the two walled in bays (the insulated area), and perhaps the part of the barn that leads to this area. Should the expansion joints be dowelled to hold the slabs in alignment, or is this overkill? I guess that way the slabs would have to be poured in at least two batches...
Thins kind of thing?
expjnt02.gif

Until somebody came up with "Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavements (no expansion joints) that was the "proper" way to do it. Usually cast every other bay to reduce thermal build up. One trick when nobody was looking was to use Denso tape instead of the expansion tubes.
Now concrete pavements have gone out of fashion as their surface produces too much tyre noise and they were not lasting their 40 year design life.

There is some interesting stuff in here albeit American:

http://www.concrete.org/General/f302.1(04)Chap3.pdf

Rod

Hi Rod,
Top quality link that - very detailed, thanks. Leaves me slightly befuddled by the number of options for different ways to joint mind :?

Hi guys,
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here who took the time to comment on this.
My friend made a little time lapse of the actual pour day (and night), which I have posted on the blog. Despite being super rushed (we were preping the steel mesh right up to the point the first ready mix lorry arrived), it was all quite fun in the end, had a bunch of friends round to help, and did some manic barrowing ;)

Anyway, we went for saw cut crack control joints. What I am wondering is if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonably priced joint filler/sealer???

Also any views on finishing the concrete? Polyurethane paint? Any particular products good or bad??

Thanks.

Ask your concrete guys, they'll know the best available in the area, may even be able to supply you themselves.
Remember concrete expands with terrific force when it's hot, make sure you cut the slabs sufficiently to allow for resultant expansion...bosshogg

Ooops, yea the ready mix co. Then again if you were able to ask, and answer the question yourselves you wouldn't have posted it in the first place, would you?...bosshogg :lol:

Good point :lol:
There just seem to be a LOT of products out there that would do the job... Just finding the right one...

I like the credits at the end of the film

especially about the concrete drivers. I have still to meet a nice concrete driver.

The first one was really nice. I think he was enjoying our mad dashing about with the barrows. The second one was just plain grumpy though.

Hello Steve, sorry for the diversion Bongo.

I have just done this in my workshop build. I used Knauf Polyfoam floorboard extra - a non squashy insulating sheet at 35mm thick.
Over this I laid a glued, floating, ply floor. It is solid in use. The only moan that I have, is that I couldn't get T & G WBP 18mm ply,
so bought WISA plywood spruce floor, it is too soft, and the Record T/S and bandsaw wheels leave small tracks. To see it carried out, visit my 'Workshop build with a difference' , in Projects, about half way down Pg 15 onwards.
Be wary of using Kingspan/Celotex types, as they are designed for walls and as such are more 'squashy'.

Hope that is of use, maybe the build could be useful too, in some way. I say that with trepidation, as you are a pro and I am a rank amateur :smile:

Regards...Dick.

Back