WorkBench build... retrospective

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imageel

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This is a bit of a retrospective as in I built this workbench in 2011 but I thought I’d share here since folks seem to like bench builds and for sure for me this was an interesting project and not without its lairy moments – so good fun along the way!

To set the scene, 5y previously I’d been through a messy divorce, found in 1997 a property to buy, moved in and set about building a workshop near the end of a long ~50m rear garden.

I had no set idea to follow any established bench design, Roubo or whatever, all I knew was I wanted a bench with a tail vice so that I could plane a surface edge-to-edge without having to move/re-clamp it so a bench-top with a tail-vice was the target.

So just fitted the workshop glazing and not even sealed the glazing beads but had guestimated how much timber I needed for my bench -this is American Maple -
sawn.jpg

I had seen in the distant past a bench built by a guy who posted under the name of Lord Kitchener and I had at the time looked at pictures of his workshop and had ‘clocked’ the salient design features, so with no drawings and only a photo of the bench to work from….

So with shed unfinished I thought I'd progress far quicker if I had a proper bench to work from.....

Moved the sawn American Maple slabs inside and here you can see I was well equipped with a tiny Kity BestCombi/s and a Kity 613 bandsaw/s to process these maple slabs… - honest guys these are quite capable machines…!
inside.jpg

Ran the slabs through the bandsaw and planed/thicknessed them to trial lay them out on the floor to get a feel for shape and size. To put things into perspective the main bench pieces are ~43mm square and the front apron 43mm wide but 105mm deep and 172mm wide to give some meat around the bench dogs.

I glued them up in sets of 3 as I didn’t at the time have a biscuit jointer to stop the strips from creeping under the pressure of the clamps and thought more than 3 at a time was going to be difficult to handle – the pieces are ~2m long.

planked-planed.jpg

glue-3.jpg

I didn’t capture making a template however I realized I needed one so as to make repeated deep cuts for the dogs, -I needed to make repeated 23mm deep cuts – the width of the pop-up dogs and cater for the depth of the template too.

I previously had only cut small stuff with a ¼ inch Elu POF96 router so invested in a half inch router – a Festool EBQ1400 to cut the bench dogs. I also needed a long reach cutter to cut these slots through a template so bought for me, a massive cutter – a Wealden Cutters TXL1416M – 65mm depth cut @ 5/8in dia.

With the template in place and snap in guide on the router base there was some serious TCT stick-out and I’ll admit I was more than a little nervous as I made the 1st cut down the center of the template. I then made further passes bearing on the template edge as a finishing pass and I was pleasantly surprised how smoothly it all went and how clean a cut I achieved. I think for me the more scary bit was taking a rest between cuts, almost forgetting to retract the cutter when putting the heavy-for-me router down, but I managed to complete it without drama or mishaps!
doghole.jpg
dogholes.jpg

In the background you can see all the offcuts from the Sapele window frames I made for the shed…

It was around this time that I realized I needed to get some proper extraction so bought one of these which I nick-named Mr Blobby
extraction.jpg

Finally glued the apron+dogholes to the rest of the benchtop –
glue-final.jpg

I then put the top right side up upon my workmate and a couple of Record roller stands, it was getting quite heavy to maneuver on my own but I seemed to manage it without any dramas…
rightsideup.jpg

At this point I had to decide how to flatten the top surface, I’ve never done this before and the thought of attempting to do this by hand was daunting so I decided to cheat and make a router sled and use a couple of levels clamped to the front and rear use a large bottom trim cutter to shave off a mil or two .

I fabbed a sled out of 6mm ply and added some webs for rigidity and some blocks to get it to the right height off the table and to enable smooth lateral traversals whilst inching the sled along the length of the table.

Given I had a step in the table where the tail vice would go I knew I’d need to do that bit separately and that it would take some skill and fettling to ensure that second pass was coplanar to the main one but hey! we all like a challenge!!

I bought again a massive for me 35mm dia bottom trim cutter from Wealdens – a T2148.5 and this is what the surface looked like after the main pass –
firstpass.jpg

To be continued..... - can't post more than 10 photos...

Build continued...
Upon reflection I suspect if my cross-slide had been more rigid I wouldn’t have ended up with those tramlines, however in practice they were not deep and actually came off pretty easily with a finely set block plane and a scraper –
scraped.jpg

It was around this time I had a Wallace & Grommit moment, as you may imagine the floor was a sea of shavings added to by the fact I’d been in-filling my ceiling with 80mm Celotex insulation and so intermixed was foam bits and the awful fibre-glass strands they reinforce it with.

So there I am under the bench with the hose of my extractor sucking this all up and at one point I let go of the hose to move some larger chunks when BANG!! An almighty noise which startled me so much I went to stand up and promptly crowned my head on the underside of the benchtop..

Standing up there was dust particles flying everywhere and my extractor was deffo not happy – nor was my head!!

Turns out whilst I let go of the extractor hose it had moved and ingested a plastic handled brush from a dustpan&brush set, and upon hitting the impeller had shattered into a million pieces and it had ejected those with such force it had blown the outlet hose off the extractor housing and embedded pieces of plastic into the Celotex lining the roof…

Looking back now I can laugh…

I got the rest of the table flattened and it came out pretty well with only a couple of areas that had tear-out and I bread-boarded the ends to allow for any movement
topfinished.jpg

In the background you can see a base end-panel infill I'd made up from waste...
top.jpg

slightly out of sequence - tail vice fitted....

Next I had some head scratching to work out how to fit the tail vice, the dogs are on almost a 6inch pitch and so I took the plunge and fitted the stanchions –
vice-1.jpg

vice-2.jpg

Time to make a base out of the offcuts I had amassed, glu-laminated some of the chunkier pieces to make the corner posts 95mm square and 760mm tall, and made some panels for both ends.

I morticed and tenoned the uprights to the cross members and routed a groove for the panels and improvised a draw bar to glue and pin the joints –
base.jpg

I don’t have photos of it but I sunk a couple of mortices in the top of the front posts to locate the top to the base and so as to allow free movement of the top should it move.

At this point the top was too heavy for me to lift on my own so I enlisted a neighbour to assist lifting it on –
topon.jpg

Along the way I’d also been in-filling the shop studwork to help sound insulate it.

I next machined up some gash Sapele for the dogs and cut 9 out on the bandsaw. Taking some lengths of broken bandsaw blades I ground off the hardened tips and with some aircraft nibblers fashioned some springs fitted into a recess in the side of the dog such that you can pop a dog up to the required height above the table and it’ll stay there. With the drawers fitted this is surprisingly easy in practice to pop a drawer open, blindly feel for the peg of the dog and push it up to the required height above deck.
dog-1.jpg

Oops breached the pic limit...

Attachments

• dog-3.jpg
    dog-3.jpg
    103.3 KB
  • dog-2.jpg
    dog-2.jpg
    101.2 KB
Finished bench - aside from one drawer-pull !!
finished.jpg

I seem to have lost pictures of the tail carriage build but here is the bench near completion with drawers fitted, conventional vice fitted and all but one drawer handle done.

The drawers run on double ball-race slides and are rated at over 20kg so slide out full length whilst allowing a nice tight fit to the Maple face without risk of snagging through any droop.

I seemed to have put my camera down for a bit, so 2y later here is the bench in action, prepping some Sapele for a 6-panel front door. At this point I still only had my Kity Bestcombi so its 6inch planer wasn’t going to cut the mustard so I made the panels old-school and the bench – and myself got a good workout!!
door-1.jpg

I’m predominantly left-handed but also reasonably ambidextrous so can plane left or right handed with ease and flattening some of these panels was tough because of the wild grain so had to skew plane some and the bench proved to be absolutely rock-solid throughout so I was a happy bunny

panel-1.jpg

fielded.jpg
trial.jpg

dryfit.jpg

That's it for now -I need to clear the bench of a lot of detritus - principally the contents of the 6 drawers to show what it looks like today.

For sure it has a few battle scars along the way and the top did move a bit but it is still flat AFAIKT using levels etc :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the retrospective, really like that Maple top and front, it’s one of my favourite timbers. Nice touch curving that bottom rail, hope you rounded the edges, I find I often brace myself with my foot under that rail.
Ian

Back