Wooden plane makers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
Lucky me, I popped in to my local motorbike shop to chew the fat when I spied a couple of boxes of old tools the owner was clearing from his shed. Picked up these 3 for a tenner. The little one is marked with an anchor , the other two seem to carry the same mark (shown in the photo). Any ideas on makers and age?? I want these to use not sell and they are in pretty good condition, except the little one has a worm hole in the centre of the sole. What’s the best way to treat and repair this? I have used salt in the past, is it a bit of a waste to buy a tin of worm killer to treat one plane??

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oh, I haven’t got any Marples tools, didn’t know their trade mark. Couldn’t make out the letters but, yes, that makes a lot of sense. Any ideas on age?

Last edited:
I believe that in 1854 it became "& sons" and in 1897 became "Ltd".
Mind you, I'm not certain I've seen any plane irons marked "Ltd" so maybe carried on with this mark ?
You will be better informed of the plane maker by a name stamped on the front end of the plane if it's different from Marples.

Thanks Andy, following your reply I found a web page on Marples that said he only used the anchor from 1838 to 1859 which makes the little plane proper old, so, maybe I can excuse one worm hole…

Last edited:
A good non chemical way to treat the worm is pop the wooden parts in the freezer for a week. Then plug the holes with wax. I did that with an old plane some years back. Anyhow a good score and they should make good workers.
Regards
John

Thanks Andy, following your reply I found a web page on Marples that said he only used the anchor from 1838 to 1859 which makes the little plane proper old, so, maybe I can excuse one worm hole…
I have to admit that I don't believe I have any Marples tools in the collection with the anchor trademark.
Heck, until now I was sure you were referring to something else.
Thanks, you've opened my eyes.
Cheers, Andy

Perhaps some more pictures of the smaller plane and the trademark ?
Is it an uncut iron and what is the trademark on it please.
Cheers, Andy

Ok, so it is an anchor, but, it doesn’t look like the Marples diagram, to me it looks like an S over an anchor. There are no other marks

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Here is the coffin plane. Again no marks except on the iron

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpeg
    IMG_0188.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Interesting with that anchor having no cross bar and the S on top.
An observation on these planes if I may, all 3 are quite likely machine made examples owing to the roundness of the chamfers on the edges and the edges of the mouth opening.
Are there any numbers stamped on the heel of the body's?

No numbers or markings of any sort, except on the Marples technical Jack, but, the Jack should be 14.5” and this is 16”. The only markings on the Jack might be by an owner. G.HATTO is crudely stamped on 3 separate places on the body

Back