Woodbloke-style marking gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving back from Yandles with Rob (Woodbloke), I said to Rob that I thought I would have a go at making a marking gauge similar to the one he had given to Philly. When we arrived at Rob's house, he kindly gave me some off-cuts from the gauge he had made

e9d78750.jpg

I found some other suitable bits from my scrap bin and made up the components - stock, stem, saddle and wedge. The pin is made from a masonry nail, with the end ground to shape

e9d50499.jpg

And here's the finished gauge

e9d50480.jpg

I'm amazed how easy it is to adjust and how well it locks together. Mine is not quite up to the standard of Rob's, but I'm pleased at my first attempt. Think I'll make a few more......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Bravo! Looks great, Paul.
I'm very pleased with my Rob-o-matic marking gauge - it works real good!
Cheers
Philly :D

Paul - good looking gauge. I was surprised how well they work once youv'e made one. I found the tricky bit was to get the mortice dead square and true so the stem slides easily. As they're so easy to make you can have loads so you don't have to keep on changing a critical setting - Rob

Thanks Rob.

woodbloke":1am3tjpw said:
I found the tricky bit was to get the mortice dead square and true so the stem slides easily.

Yes, but your Mk 1 marking knife came in useful there :D Think I'll have a go at making one to take one of those pencils that use the 0.5mm and 0.7mm leads. I tend to use those, with a soft lead (B or 2B), for a lot of marking out because they give a consistent width line.

Paul

Philly":282lzpfq said:
Bravo! Looks great, Paul.
I'm very pleased with my Rob-o-matic marking gauge - it works real good!
Cheers
Philly :D

You are not American. You are English, and thus capable of using adverbs.

The phrase is: "it works really well".

BugBear (flying the linguistic flag after St. Georges day (*))

(*) The well known Turk!

correction " it works really well, old chap, what what".

BB - I'm with you on this - a really hate to see "folks in the Colonies" mangle our wonderful language and then have the brass neck to call it English.

As for people this side of the pond repeating these errors; well, they really need a smack!

It's probably from those ignorant second son snots you sent to manage the colonies that we learned how to speak. :)

Pam, who has the barest (1/4) of English heritage

The nail on the head, you did hit.

Ignorant ones went west
Crooked ones south

Incidentally, I'm going over to USA in the Autumn (not the fall!).
Thought I might pass the time explaining my views to Dept of Homeland Security people at the airport - do you think they will appreciate it?

Apologies to all for my tainted English. Looks like I need a grammar checker as well as a spell checker..... :lol:
But what's this...Ignorant ones went west, Crooked ones south??
Watch it Lurker or I'll be popping round with my "other" marking gauge..... :wink: :lol:
Cheers
International Philly (homer)

lurker":3di9uer4 said:
Thought I might pass the time explaining my views to Dept of Homeland Security people at the airport - do you think they will appreciate it?

Speaking of ignorant, incompetent snots....

Autumn and Fall are synonomous here.

Pam

Methinks that unless the language becomes a little more restrained in this thread a large padlock will be appearing shortly, Chubb I hope...
...as the song says...'you say tom-ah-to and I say tom-ay-to'... etc :lol: - Rob

pam niedermayer":2dh67wg3 said:
Autumn and Fall are synonomous here.

Pam

Feels more like Winter and Summer are synonymous here... Woolly socks and T-shirts seem to be de rigeur all year 'round :)

Entertainingly, many so-called Americanisms actually hark back to the argot of the Sceptred Isle before the Luddites were called to arms.

So, just perhaps, our Neanderthal leanings might be more appropriately expressed with an American twang. :p

Paul,

Thanks for photos - a thousand words & all that.
Started making one last evening.
Hit a few snags which I hope to overcome this evening.
The result is not going to be up to your standard, but maybe mark 2 will be.

Thanks lurker. Yes, I think you need to make one, firstly to get your head around how they work (and they work really well), and secondly to find how to shape it so that it fits nicely in the hand. I'm really grateful to Rob for the idea about incorporating a saddle - that works so much better than the wedge on its own. Must have something to do with distributing the pressure in two directions. It locks really solidly with one hand while still being easy to release. Already thinking about Mk 2, 3, 4.... :D

Paul

DomValente":16gj1bsq said:
Very nice Paul, think I'll retire again just to find the time to make that sort of thing. :mrgreen:

Trouble is, Dom, once you're retired, everyone thinks you've nothing to do and keep coming up with jobs, so you have less spare time than when you were working :? :?

Paul

dunbarhamlin":1yrsvr6s said:
Entertainingly, many so-called Americanisms actually hark back to the argot of the Sceptred Isle before the Luddites were called to arms.

So, just perhaps, our Neanderthal leanings might be more appropriately expressed with an American twang. :p

Where's Lord Byron when we need him?

Pam

Back