Wood ID help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just taken delivery of a sofa described as having limed oak legs and whilst I’m no expert in identifying species of wood, they don’t look like oak to me (I’m not actually bothered by their appearance).

Could you fine people give me your take on what species you think this might be?

IMG_5208.jpeg
IMG_5209.jpeg
IMG_5212.jpeg

I think it's oak. The colour is not right for ash which would be lighter. I'd say oak but not necessarily quercus robur. Is this from an imported manufactured item?
Brian

More than ten years ago I purchased solid oak stair parts these are laminated but the packaging says clearly made in China. I wonder what species of oak is used there.?There would not be much benefit in using Ash as it is likely more expensive. I think Oak from China is the most likely.

Well I think it could easily be Oak, do you have any more pics pls?
Ian
The problem is it’s lime washed, which is hiding the natural colour of the wood. The total absence of rays/flecks, particularly in the end grain) is what’s making me doubt oak.

Ash is used as a substitute for Oak, however Oak is more readily available wood.

Back