Wood burning stoves tested to destruction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the stove top fans - I found them a waste of time. Get a small electric desk fan - I had a 10" one and put it on the hearth. My room was 25' long so the fan blew across the front, up the room. At the other end I put a 4" extractor fan under the coving, blowing into the stair well. When it was cold they were on for hours and it made a worthwhile difference - had I stayed in the house I'd have replaced the extractor with a 6" one.

I'm now in a bungalow. I put an insulated 6" flexible duct through the loft, going from above the stove to an inline 48w fan then to a Y piece then on to the far side of the main bedroom and the kitchen (where I spend my time). This is also insulated again, over and under. £200 or so now without any labour cost.
It works brilliantly - it also makes the lounge more useable as it is small and over heats quickly. The chap before me had a conservatory built and reversed the second bedroom with the lounge so he didn't have to go through the bedroom to reach the conservatory.

I don't like to have to speak ill of a small manufacturer having a go, but if they've been making stoves since the early 1980s how much product development have they done since then?

I've been heating mostly with wood for twenty plus years and have had fireplaces and woodstoves in the home going back to childhood so have some interest in the subject.

I suppose if smoke output is not an issue and fuel is free but for the work of collecting and handling it, and one wants the fastest possible heat output after a fire is lit, then perhaps a case can be made that a simple steel box will begin to transmit heat to the room slightly quicker, but personally I doubt it. I heat with a large double door insert with large windows, so I can see what is going on as long as I keep the glass clean.

In any stove, get a decent fire going with dry wood and then put on a damp piece and what happens? The whole fire "sags" or even goes out as its reservoir of heat is absorbed by the cold, damp piece of wood past the point where it can maintain the other fuel at high enough temperatures to combust. Of course it all depends on the relative sizes of the fire and therefore its thermal reservoir and the size of the green or damp piece put on. Forest fires as we can all see have such enormous thermal energy that they can burn even green wood and keep on going; it's all a matter of scale. The comparatively feeble heat output of damp wood in a stove or fireplace compared to dry is something most of us have probably noticed: the energy is going into evaporating the moisture from the wood, not into heating the room.

So, a stove body which transmits heat outwards more quickly to the room might make you a little warmer a little sooner, but what are the combustion temperatures as a result of that rapid transmission and relative inability to hold heat in the combustion area in the way that a lined firebox does? How complete is the combustion? How much of the combustible gas is being burned and converted to usable heat and how much is simply going up the flue and being lost? Combustion of the gasses typically only occurs with a baffle and secondary, usually pre-heated, air inlet; the famous so called "secondary combustion [chamber]".

There are a given number of BTU's in a piece of wood, depending IIRC mostly on it's weight and therefore density, the resin and moisture content. Secondary combustion stoves are more efficient; they get more BTU's into the room for a given weight of wood all else being equal.

One only has to see the roiling flames of good secondary combustion and feel the heat given off to see the difference. More heat from the same quantity of wood easily outweighs the purported speed of transmission of heat through a metal-only stove.

A proper fan which moves air over the stove back/top/sides is a must have IMHO and I put in a manual override switch on my insert so I don't have to wait for the thermostat to turn the fan on, but once it is on, if I turn the switch to off the thermostat will then shut down the fan once temperatures drop low enough. A handy feature when going to bed and wanting the noise of the fan to stop when the fire goes down.

Firebrick certainly does hold heat once hot, as does soapstone for example, though I find the soapstone stoves take too long to transmit heat because their entire bodies are blocks of soapstone with no substantial metal surfaces and sometimes not much glass for rapid heat transmission. The masonry heater was in part designed to provide a day's heat from a relatively short burn time once or twice a day, and thus a more efficient use of fuel which was much more accessible/cheap in some areas than others. Maybe the soapstone stoves have a similar potential; I believe that is claimed at times.

Speaking of heat transmission, the amount of heat passing through the glass "windows" is much higher than through steel. If I stand a piece of firewood outside the doors in front of the glass of my insert it will rapidly scorch in a way that it never does when just laid on top of the 1/4" steel firebox for a final drying. And that final drying and heating of course minimizes the heat lost in the firebox when a new piece of wood is added as the wood is already dry and quite warm and uses less of the residual energy of the existing fire to bring it up to combustion temps.

I've gone back and forth a bit there, but you get thes idea I'm sure.

A few moments casual looking online produced this for example: https://salamanderstoves.com/product-category/the-hobbit-stove/
https://salamanderstoves.com/product-category/accessories/stove-extras/
https://salamanderstoves.com/about-us/

The enamelled stoves produced mostly in France are quite something though the styles are not everyone's taste.

And so to bed!

Last edited:
Interesting and slow start up may be key. But had the beast for maybe 20years and never needed to replace anything at all. I used to like damping it down at bedtime and felt like I'd secured a victory when it restarted in the morning on just opening the "vent". And was still warm.
Now more aware of need to run it at a higher temperature for a more effecient and less polluting burn. So a fresh light up every morning.
my jotul is 8 years old, had only door seal once. the "register plate" is 2m x.75 x.225 thick concrete the fireplace about 1 ton stone ,good burn in the evening then the whole mass stays warm all next day

Before this thread started I had thought fairly deeply about firebricks and not wanting them, but I must say you obviously know quite a bit about combustion, what you said about camp fires is certainly true.
I obviously hadn’t thought deeply enough as it hadn’t occurred to me that most of the heat comes out of the unbricked roof of the fire, time to get one of those fans I think.
Re the campfire thing. If I can’t work out a solution to a problem sometimes I stretch it to ridiculous lengths and the answer is usually staring at me, so with this, if all the logs were spread about with large gaps between its blindingly obvious that they would soon go out and the converse is that a very hot fire would be the outcome of well packed logs. So thank you for that.
A campfire for cooking needs heat focussed in the middle and as little as possible lost to the outside, exactly the opposite of a space heating stove, or a space heating campfire.
A burning pyramid - hence the very effective shape of the Dowling Sumo.
Thing is as well, in the uk, we aren’t like the Russians with bitterly cold winters and certainly in my case the woodburner is for secondary heat and the deep satisfaction it provides burning away giving off a flickering light. Love them.
Me too. Especially the way I can get rid of so much unwanted stuff - sawdust, shavings, offcuts, hedge trimmings, prunings, cardboard, paper etc etc. any old scrap wood. As long as it is very dry.
I reckon there is potential for innovation with wood-stoves, to dispose of rubbish, but burned efficiently with minimal air pollution, even plastics perhaps. Currently they are all designed to look like TVs, for tidy modern interiors. Possible the wrong shape entirely. -
They were all developed when wood and coal were widely available and cheap, now with impending energy crisis they could have a new lease of life.

Last edited:
I don't like to have to speak ill of a small manufacturer having a go, but if they've been making stoves since the early 1980s how much product development have they done since then?
Their basic designs are excellent but little development thereafter as the principle (Steve Dowling) passed away (I think). Basically a small craft based business, largely hand made.
I've been heating mostly with wood for twenty plus years and have had fireplaces and woodstoves in the home going back to childhood so have some interest in the subject.
Me too, but for nearly 80 years! We had coal fires at home, heating water and an oven. Also open ranges were still around and in use, cooking directly on top of the fire.
First heating-only stove was a Turtle, in a cottage in Wales. Excellent with coke, hopeless with wood.
An alternative to the better known Tortoise. Bothe made with cast top and bottom joined by a steel tube lined with firebricks.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 10.29.15.png

Last edited:
Back