Will I need 2 chucks? Large and small.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If buying the lathe new you may be able to haggle a package deal so it comes with a chuck and jaw set/ gouges etc
I'd be buying online, and while the prices are already much higher than in the UK, they are fairly heavily discounted. I think I'll try to buy the extras from the UK, especially eBay.

I'd be buying online, and while the prices are already much higher than in the UK, they are fairly heavily discounted. I think I'll try to buy the extras from the UK, especially eBay.
Even online you will find deals and packages on offer, especially as we are approaching Christmas.

I have lathes with 2 spindle sizes, 1 1/4" and 1". I use Nova chucks for them. A Stronghold chuck for the bigger lathes and a G3 for the smaller ones. While not top of the line chucks (like Vicmarc or Oneway) they are very good and have a huge range of inserts to fit an array of lathes and an impressive lineup of jaws. If a supplier offers the brand they are worth your consideration.

The picture shows both chucks, upper being the bigger Stronghold and the lower the G3. Beside them is a new set of jaws that just came out for small turnings, little bowls, boxes etc, that I bought recently. The nice thing about their jaws is I can use them on either chuck, even the little ones. Bigger jaws ones are offered.

IMG_6612.jpg

Pete

Back