Which wood is this....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding smell,...the redder wood has a slightly pepper/ spice aroma, but I cant decern any particular smell from the lighter brown timber.
On closer inspection, the lighter brown wood appears to have a few flecks of White " salts" in the grain? (Its not paint..!)

The lighter one is Iroko, the white deposits are Calcium Carbonate which can dull tools pretty rapidly especially if you run into larger deposits, I have seen planer knives go from cutting wonderfully to not cutting at all in a couple of seconds after hitting a large deposit.

I would agree with @niall Y that the redder one looks like Keruing, but Jarrah can also look very similar. Keruing was a very popular timber in mass-produced door frames at one point, it's not a timber you see very often these days.

I find that Iroko, Sapele and Keruing all have very distinctive smells, though I am sure one can develop a "smell blindness". A colleague , who used to work across the yard from me had a saddlery business. It was always a pleasure to step inside his workshop, for the smell of the leather alone - though he did confess that he didn't notice the smell anymore.

From the point of view of the smell, I would guess that the least aromatic, would be something like Luan/Meranti and the slightly peppery one would be Sapele.

My first guess from the end cut was either Sapele or Iroko. Having now seen the planed surface, I'd guess iroko.

Latest posts

Back