Which bandsaw axminster or jet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve A

Reaction score
Hi Steve here,
Just a quick question I'm just about to buy a bandsaw and was all set on getting the axminster sbw4300b when I saw jet have got an offer on for the jwbs-18q for 30 quid cheeper than the axminster. This is my first bandsaw, the majority of people on this sit say the axminster is mighty fine, but the jet is usually more expensive SO which one should I get? Also any advice on blades would also be appreciated.(mostly straight cuts). Thank you.

Wow thank you Bob, thing is I'm also buying a planer/thicknesser aw106pt2, scrollsaw ex-21 and the jet dc1100a extractor package so it made sense to buy them all in one place, are they a both a bad piece of kit or is the record bs400 just a very good machine.

I don't think they're bad at all Steve in fact I had a long hard look at the Jet 18" model myself because Axy in High Wycombe had a shop soiled model they were flogging cheap and all that extra capacity was very appealing.

I just ended up plumping for the BS400 on the all round thumbs up. I particularly like the extra bits record have added on to the far Eastern factory standard stuff which is the cast wheels (weight is our friend) and the fence assembly. Record have an advantage in that they and Startrite are the same company so they have that expertise and pedigree. The cast iron extras on the BS range have basically been blagged from designs of more expensive Startrite kit because they're known to help in the endless conundrum of avoiding blade drift.

I don't think you'd go desperately wrong with either of the Axy available models you mention though.

Blade wise, there really is only one choice...Tuffsaws. One man operation run out of Wales by a chap called Ian John. Awesome would be actually doing him down. His blades have literally saved some people from throwing away their bandsaws after years of frustrating failure with inferior quality blades. Further he'll personally advise you on what you need for the job you're doing and he's actually cheaper than anyone else. I know what you're thinking, but for once though too good to be true, in Ian's case it actually is true :)

Axy are going to be cracking their knuckles with glee the day you bowl up with that shopping list!!! Make sure you get a few freebies :)

Don't know how to send a personal message but thank you Bob, I'm going to take your advice and go for the record,
Mr Ian John will be getting a call very soon.
Thanks once again for all your advice. Steve

You could get a really good deal on those machines by buying when there is a show on. I beleive Yandles have one at present and Record do a free delivery as well as a show discount. Worth a look.

Alex

Steve A":11ihkfsf said:
Don't know how to send a personal message but thank you Bob, I'm going to take your advice and go for the record,
Mr Ian John will be getting a call very soon.
Thanks once again for all your advice. Steve

You're most welcome Steve :)

I agree with everything said about Tuffsaws. I suffered frustration for years using Axcaliber blades and blamed the bandsaw for the drift offline. A call to Ian and the purchase of one of his blades put everything right

Latest posts

Back