Which Airless Sprayer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
Help, I’m after an airless sprayer, but which one? I have to paint my new workshop which has block walls and plaster boarded ceiling in white silk emulsion paint. I have had a go with a roller and realised Id be at it for the next ten years, there is a lot to paint, so I’ve decided to invest in an airless for this project. I’d like something that can produce a decent result without breaking the bank, it will be for very occasional use after this project. I’m used to a HVLP sprayer, so hoping that the technique will be similar.

Hi @deema you mean no compressor? If so, I bought a Wagner 100 to do my fence panels & pleased as punch - think about £60 at the time - I reckon it would do walls too & I'd give it a go for that - I worked at a boatyard painting a long time time ago & the spray / control was good on this.
Maybe need to water down into two coats on emulsion though? no idea I don't sell them.
It worked v well for a cheapish tool.
https://www.wagner-group.com/uk/do-...-accessories/product/woodmetal-sprayer-w-100/
Edit - Ok maybe need to upgrade to better model for emulsion? Has anyone used this for emulsion?
Cheers, Nick

Attachments

• spray gun wagner .jpg
    spray gun wagner .jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I bought an Earlex HV5000 from Screwfix circa 2012 and am pleased with the finish I was able to achieve using 2-pack Morrels, super easy to use and clean etc. I did have to buy a smaller needle and jet from the default supplied, however the default jet would have been fine for emulsion type paints.
I see Wagner acquired them a while back but deffo recommend if you can find one on the 'bay

Last edited:
I’m looking at the Wagner Power Painter 90 (PP90) and the Greco 390 classic PC as something that is the first step above their DIY level machines (Wagner defo not mine). Anyone with experience of either, or something similar?
I want something I can pump directly for say a 10 or 20 litre bucket without having to dilute the emulsion. I’m planning on spraying Wicks Silk emulsion. Firstly because it’s cheap! (£18 / 10 litre) and secondly because it’s a workshop silk will be easier to wipe down.

I bought an Erbauer airless sprayer from Screwfix to paint the workshop I have just built and thought it great.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eaps600-electric-paint-sprayer-600w/394kr?ref=SFAppShare

No experience of expensive versions to compare it to, but it takes standard tips, so I was able to fit a finer one and it did an excellent job and gave a nice finish. Made a lot of mess, but that was probably the operator, not the tool! £200, adjustable pressure and a hose to put in a big vat of paint. Now looking forward to painting the outside of our house! For occasional, non professional work, I cannot see what a fancy sprayer would do that this doesn't.

I bought an Erbauer airless sprayer from Screwfix to paint the workshop I have just built and thought it great.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eaps600-electric-paint-sprayer-600w/394kr?ref=SFAppShare

No experience of expensive versions to compare it to, but it takes standard tips, so I was able to fit a finer one and it did an excellent job and gave a nice finish. Made a lot of mess, but that was probably the operator, not the tool! £200, adjustable pressure and a hose to put in a big vat of paint. Now looking forward to painting the outside of our house! For occasional, non professional work, I cannot see what a fancy sprayer would do that this doesn't.
Thanks, that’s really interesting, I’m investigating🤔

I recommend Phil Beckwith on YT - a professional painter/decorator.

He has done reviews on most machines of all budgets and has done reviews on the various Erbauer machines

Thanks, that’s really interesting, I’m investigating🤔
I was painting OSB, so a roller really would have been soul destroying!

Had previously borrowed the same model from a neighbour to paint kitchen cabinet doors. I am sure it was the wrong tool for the job, but with a narrow tip it could do quite fine tasks too.

I have a titan 450e, bought s/h from ebay for not much money compared to new (can't recall exactly but 100-200). Got lucky and it didn't even need repacking, so just had to buy some new tips and a wand (which you will want for ceilings at least) and some new fluid. They are pretty simple machines especially by your standards so not much to go wrong that you wouldn't find an easy repair if you went second hand.

I have a kremlin which will spray anything but it is compressor powered not electric. Sometimes they pop up on ebay quite cheap if you have a fat compressor already. Great finish for normal use after as its air assisted for a smoother pattern.

Last edited:
My Advice it that: Air sprayers have their place, but that place is not spraying furniture in a workshop for that you need an HVLP sprayer, try spraying inside a cupboard or drawer with an airless and just watch the puddle of paint in the corners, HVLP spraying is much more controlled with less bounce back, near 90% of the paint goes on the workpiece not into the atmosphere, the difference is night and day, most professional spray shops have changed to HVLP for obvious reasons once you use one.

My Advice it that: Air sprayers have their place, but that place is not spraying furniture in a workshop for that you need an HVLP sprayer, try spraying inside a cupboard or drawer with an airless and just watch the puddle of paint in the corners, HVLP spraying is much more controlled with less bounce back, near 90% of the paint goes on the workpiece not into the atmosphere, the difference is night and day, most professional spray shops have changed to HVLP for obvious reasons once you use one.
Definitely wasn't an inside job! Sure HVLP would have been better, but given the choice between airless and brush / roller for a lot of doors and drawer fronts, the sprayer was definitely an improvement.

I'm painting block walls and a large ceiling. I have a HVLP sprayer. It’s definitely an airless I need.

It's impossible to paint over head with an HVLP, that is not what they are designed for, they are not an tool for a decorator.

That's why what he wants and needs is an airless - right tool for the job (but a bit specific to that job).

Your right, specific to that job, but a bit of a waste of monies as an HVLP will do the job as well as delicate work, may be a bit slower, but with the right needle and nozzle just as well as an Airless and a lot more useful afterwards.

I’m ordered one, seems to have mixed reviews, but 3 year warranty and if it doesn’t work properly as it should then I will get the Wagner.

Last edited:
@MikeJhn it’s for my workshop, I estimate around 150 to 200 litre of paint based on rollering 10 litres. Cheapest quote for getting it done was c£3K! Hiring an airless is circa £150 for a week, and it could be full of dried paint!

The workshop is 1250 sqft with a vaulted ceiling
IMG_3827.jpeg

Latest posts

Back