Choosing a chuck.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a chuck for my small Axminster lathe with 1"x 8tpi headstock thread. An Axminster chuck seems the obvious choice an SK100 or SK88 would do nicely, but when I began looking around the choices began to get a bit bewildering. Rutlands, Charnwood both have offerings, then there's Versachuck which I quite like the sound of. I've also come across Vevor on eBay, very competitively priced (Chinese I guess?). I've got a tight budget of around £175, so I don't have money to 'chuck' at it. Quite happy with good secondhand. Any thoughts?

I use the Record Power SC chucks.
Currently have one SC4, Two SC3 and one SC2 chuck.
They've been great chucks, range from about 4 to 8 years I've had them.
Great range of jaws, available direct threaded or threaded for an insert of your choice.
I have the m33x3.5 size, to use o my herald, but also m33 to 3/4"x16 insert for use on my mini Jet Lathe.
TBH the SC4 is a bit big and heavy for the Jet, so prefer the mini SC2 or SC3 for small turnings.

Here RP Web page for chuck range.
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/chucking-systems-jaws--spares

As above.
I've also got the small Ax lathe, and opted for what I think is now called the SC2*(previously the RP2000)
Reason for that choice was the weight, which I felt had I used the bigger SC4 would have put too much strain on the lathe main bearing. It would prematurely wear it out. It is afterall not a big lathe.

Small stuff, bowls,platters,spindles etc I've found it to be ideal for, and more importantly its not adding strain on the system.

@ those in the know. Any idea is the SC2 jaws are the same as the jaws from the RP2000 ? I'd got a couple of sets, but given its discontinued I'd like if i can find the other jaws, pin, rechucking etc.

A smart move would be to buy an adapter to take your 1"x 8tpi up to a M33 x 3.5, they cost about £20 , but this would give you a greater choice of new/second-hand chucks
Good point. I spotted an Axminster chuck for sale either on Facebook or Ebay and it was the wrong thread for my lathe and they didn't make an adapter. There are some on Ebay but I was a bit concerned about accuracy and possible chuck runout.
Thanks for your replies all. Haven't decided finally yet but Versachuck is slightly ahead at the moment.

The SC1 and SC2 are the lightest in the record power range, the SC4 is the heaviest.
The 1 and 2 are classed as mini chucks at around 2.5". Ideal for smaller turnings.

I think the AH1218VS is a better lathe than my Jet, and it should handle the SC3 chuck ok, as it is lighter and shorter overhang than the SC4.

Chuck adapters are a bad idea as they move the chuck much further away from the headstock bearings than intended. This can result in excessive vibration. A much better idea is, as suggested, to buy a Versachuck. If at any time in the future you upgrade your lathe you can buy a different backplate. 1” x 8 is not the standard it used to be. M33 x 3.5mm has become the norm, even on some modest size lathes.

Another option is to buy a cheap Chuck and expect to sell it with the lathe if you upgrade. Beware of chucks with threaded inserts, I had a RP SC3 with an insert and it never ran true.

Have you looked at Nova Chucks? Most of their offerings come with a threaded insert to fit your lathe and should you migrate to a different size you only need to get the new inserts. They have a huge range of jaws that fit across most of their range of chuck sizes.

Pete

Chuck adapters are a bad idea as they move the chuck much further away from the headstock bearings than intended. This can result in excessive vibration. A much better idea is, as suggested, to buy a Versachuck. If at any time in the future you upgrade your lathe you can buy a different backplate. 1” x 8 is not the standard it used to be. M33 x 3.5mm has become the norm, even on some modest size lathes.

Another option is to buy a cheap Chuck and expect to sell it with the lathe if you upgrade. Beware of chucks with threaded inserts, I had a RP SC3 with an insert and it never ran true.
Been interchanging my various chucks for many years without vibration or bearing failure. I must have been lucky. Still, always prudent to bring the tailstock up for support.

There’s a nice Axminster SK100 chuck kit in the for sale section.you would just need an insert adapter for the threadi

Been interchanging my various chucks for many years without vibration or bearing failure. I must have been lucky. Still, always prudent to bring the tailstock up for support.
A big lathe should handle overhang much better than a small lathe. If you’re using a tailstock for support then it doesn’t matter anyway.
I watched a live demo two weeks ago and the Axminster AT1416VS had a long adapter between the spindle and chuck. The demo was turning a small bowl and unsurprisingly (to me at least) the demonstrator had problems with chatter.

The Nova G3 is a good choice. You can get it threaded for 1" x 8 or with a 1" x 8 insert and there are a wide range of jaws for it.
The only problem is the inserts cannot do M33 x 3.5 so if you upgrade you will need a new chuck.
The Record Power chucks have 1" x 8 and M33 x 3.5 inserts AND the jaws are compatible with the Nova chucks.

I upgraded from an Axminster AW305WL to a Coronet Herald and ended up buying new Nova chucks to fit the M33 x 3.5 thread. I did try using a 1" x 8 to M33 x 3.5 adapter but this made the chuck stick out another 50mm from the headstock and had a bit of run out as well.

Latest posts

Back